Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do those of you that use the queen clip manage to do so without squishing the queen? Every time I see a queen she's usually moving fast and I can just see myself squishing her anytime I would try to use something like that.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I thought so, too, until I caught a few. Now I just press it over her and release the handles. It doesn't hurt her at all. ""Not so far, anyway, after 2 years of using them".

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. Queens are so fast. Last year I tried to requeen a hive with a push-in cage and ended up stabbing her with the prongs of the 8mm cloth I made the cage from. I buried the back end of the cage in wax and released her as far back as I could. She still ran to the front as I was lowering the cage and I hit her lowering the cage. Turns out the hive already was producing their own queen so it didn't matter, other than costing me the price of another queen.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
The spring in them has very very little tension. It would not hurt her even if she was caught in the mouth of it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about just putting it over her? I mean she runs so fast I could see myself just pushing the side down over the top of her by accident.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't had that happen yet. From my experience if she is mated she moves around much slower. The virgin queens are the ones that act like speedy gonzalez. I simply open the mouth of the cage and place it over her. She then, usually, walks up the side of the catcher and I let it close around her. If she doesn't move when I place it over her then just let it close with her standing there. As Iddee said the bottom is open and once the jaws start to close toward her leg it won't hurt her. Hope this helps.

James

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I have no idea what you folks are talking about??? Must be one of those new fangled devices that all the new kids on the block brag about?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm with James. I've never squished a queen and find my queen clip invaluable. I also use it in my honey house to--believe it or not--catch errant girls who've come in on the honey so that I can release them outside! They usually wind up piling up on the windows and I just collect them in the clip, walk outside, open the clip and they fly back home!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts