Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now six weeks in with 10 new packages. I am using only 8-frame medium equipment with the frames cut to 1 1/4" so 9 to a box. I also have a cutout from a tree and a small swarm. The cutout is by far the strongest hive but as I didn't get the queen they had to make another and she has just started to lay. Four of the ten packages are still in only the first box. The other 6 either got a second box this week or last. As this is my first year I have no unused drawn comb. All but the cutout (which has 1/2 a box of capped honey in it from the cutout) are being fed.

Next week (7 weeks from install) I am planning on starting my inspections in what I think are the strongest hives. Any that have 7 or more frames of brood I plan to pull one frame of capped brood and attached nurse bees and replace with an empty frame. I will place these frames in a nuc box and continue with the yard inspection. When I find any with less than 6 frames of brood I will give one of these frames and pull an empty. If less than 4 then I will give 2 of these pulled frames. I plan to inspect the swarm last as it is the weakest and give them any remaining frames I have.

Does this sound like a decent plan or is it too soon to be makng these swaps?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts