How fast do your bees take down syrup from a feeder?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by litefoot, Oct 6, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I'm trying to take advantage of every semi-warm day to feed my bees. One hive took down almost 2 gallons of 2:1 in 7 hours!:shock: Couldn't believe it! I was wondering if it needs to be capped to be winter-ready.

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I was feeding mine in late August/early September. I would put a gallon in the hive top feeder before going to work in the morning. The following morning, the feeder would be dry. They slowed down once the golden rod kicked in.

3. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Two of the three I'm feeding will take a quart in 6 hours. The other one makes a quart last almost 24 hours and is almost the same size as the other two.

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Miller style feeders on top can get sucked dry fast. I'll put 2 gal in on and it will be gone the next day as long as the bees have storage room. Jar feeders are a little slower because you're limited by the number of bees that have access to the syrup.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

A lot of things that will determine how much syrup a hive will take in a day. Temperature, nectar flow, hive strength, genetics, empty space for stores, feeder leakage. etc. To name a few

6. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

I'm feeding 3 hives. Gallon baggies with 3 quarts in em. Lasts about 2 days. I only poke about 3 holes so their pretty limited to how many bees can get to it at one time. Also my hives have that smell and day before yesterday I spilled some syrup on the back steps and there are no bees on it. I believe the asters have finally kicked in. Woody

7. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I thought it was a sign of a healthy hive if the bees didn't take any, or very little, syrup.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not taking up syrup 'may' of course mean exactly the opposite lazy shooter. most of the time I interpret how fast a hive 'remove' feed from a feeder as an indication of how much empty space (cells) there are in a hive.

9. Ray

Ray Member

The hive I'm feeding prefers it's syrup (3:2) with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt (per gallon).[​IMG]
    ​They also prefer that the waiter wears a clean ball cap.[​IMG]

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

do they sting the waiter if the ball cap is dirty? My bees are pulling in goldenrod at the moment, the aroma is strong,but since their supers have empty frames, some with foundation, I am also feeding. They are taking about a quart in 4 or 5 days

11. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

photo.jpg photo.jpg

This picture is from Amarillo. It turned cold today. The Panhandle bees won't be foraging much tomorrow. My bees in Brownwood still have some time to forage, but I have not seen any goldenrod on or near the ranch. I may plant some.

12. Gypsi

I only have a little goldenrod planted here, not nearly enough to account for the stinky smell coming from the hives. Have my feeder jars on top with rain ponchos attached to keep the girls fed and dry.

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Gypsi:

Does Goldenrod reseed itself well? Does it spread from the roots? My real question is: If I plow up some ground and plant it correctly, will it come back year after year?

14. Gypsi

seems to both reseed and spread, and it is drought hardy, I don't water where it is growing. Want some seed? There is a bee club meeting in Burleson tonight, I'm about to head that way. I have seed. plant now, or plant in spring, or pm me an address and I'll mail you a package. I got it from Stock Seed farms in Nebraska, but I don't think I need to replant. My goldenrod plants are 7 ft tall in my pond area.