How hot and dry is it?

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Jul 22, 2011.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

It's so hot and dry here that my peonies are laying flat on the ground. I have a tree that I planted 3 years ago. It was looking stressed from the heat and lack of moisture. I've been carrying water to it for fear it would be set back or die from lack of moisture. Everyone here can forget about tomatoes. It's too hot for blossoms to stay on.
    So, just how hot and dry is it where you live?

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

It's so hot here I had to get the step ladder to read the thermometer.

pa-dump-dump

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

It's been warm here: since June 1, 38 days with high temps over 100. Today will be the 23rd consecutive day of 100 degree temps.

The last rainfall was on June 22, 1.5 inches. For the year, we are 10.5 inches below average for rainfall. We're lightly watering tomato, pepper, and eggplant to keep them alive until cooler, wetter weather arrives in the fall. :beg:

The bees are sucking on syrup.

On the bright side, we don't have to worry about getting equipment stuck in the mud, and I haven't had to mow since the end of June. :D

Walt

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It's hot enough to teach me not to leave metal garden tools lying in the sun!

This weather is so odd. We were mildewing with all the rain this spring, now my garden is pretty much dust. My potato plants are all turning yellow and have no blossoms. Raspberries are drying out before ripening. The scalding water coming out of my black garden hose has me thinking about the merits of a solar hot water system.

We have one of those "Max-Min" thermometers out in the barn: Yesterday it pushed the "max" marker up to nearly 100 F. It hasn't been adjusted for months, and I noticed that the "min" temperature was -14F. There's a temperature range for ya!

On the good side, the bees seem to be okay. I put out a tray of water and they totally ignored it.

Wishing I had AC in the house!

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

We had a few clouds roll in this morning. It is bringing a few hours of relief. The husband reported that it was raining like crazy a couple of miles away, but not here. Guess I better go water.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The local weather guy just said it was 105 in Waco, a record, but it didn't feel as hot as some other days because the the humidity was lower.

I yelled at the TV, "IT WAS 105 YOU IDIOT!" It didn't do any good. :D

Heard the devil was talking and he said, "Darn, it's as hot as Texas down here." :lol:

Walt

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, it rained here. I counted all 7 drops. :eek:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We got a good down pour last night, just make the humidity that much more the next day.

Just about need a knife to cut a hole in it to get out the front door.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

It's so hot here that a dog chasing a cat just went past my front door. Both were walking.

10. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

62 last night. Feels coolish right now. Slight shower, w/ supposedly more rain thru the morning. High today supposed to be around 70something. Heat wave broken.