How important are bee suits?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by TheWoodsman, Apr 27, 2011.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Can one just get a viel and be done with it? My face is the only place i dont want to get stung basiaclly. I know i've never handled bees in these numbers but i respect them and think if given the proper curisy and not swatting at them they shuold be alright? I can see how a few in the shirt cuold be a problem.

Also when a honeybee stings the suit do their stingers get stuck and they die? Because if the bees live with the suit on then thats a different story, becuase i like the bees.

And other than the suit and veil what other tools/supplies shuold i get? Bee brush, ...ect?

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

You can just get a veil if you want to risk it, but be prepared for that one day when a lightning strike comes out of nowhere and hits nearby enough to stir up the bees to cover you in 300+ stings... no joke I know a guy that happened to...

Or when you accidentally drop a frame... or even when they are just in a foul mood. Sometimes you'll open them up and they're queenright during a nectar flow, and other times you'll open them up and they're queenless during a dearth. Sometimes you'll open them up the day after a skunk has been around. Sometimes you'll go to collect a swarm only to find out after shaking them that they built comb and laid eggs in it. You just never know what you're going to encounter that'll have the bees in a fuss... and when they are in a foul mood for whatever reason, you'll take your licks, sometimes even when you are suited up. All my recent stings have been while suited up... it would have been much worse with just a veil.

So the long and the short of it is that you can use just a veil if you want, but I wouldn't.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

No suit here. I bought some old white shirts at the resale shop and for the first six years I had bees I wore a shirt, jeans and veil. Got an UltraBreeze jacket/hood combo a year ago for Christmas.

As for equipment, besides your boxes & frames, you'll need a hive tool and smoker. I do use a brush occasionally.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

on most occasions a shirt, hat and veil and gloves (sometimes not) are all that is required. a few circumstance (mostly in a commercial setting) a full suit is a good investment.

an ultrabreeze suit due to it's construction seems to limit stinging and the inevitable death of the workers. in a hot location an ultrabreeze suit is a nice luxury.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A veil is sufficient, although there will be times when you may have to back off and return later. A suit is, imho, overkill with only a few hives. A jacket with veiled hood is a nice compromise. Better protection than just a veil, and easier to put on than veil or suit. About 50.00, not much more than a good veil and hat, a lot cheaper than a good suit.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Alot depends on how your body reacts to the stings. I don't like stings to the face (can't afford anymore ugly) or back of the hands,they puff up and itch like crazy. Other than that i'm tough :mrgreen: . I've worked bees with some who act like the stings don't bother them and when we get done they look like the pillsbury dough boy.After your first year (if not before) you will know how much protection you need. :lol: Jack

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm afraid I would get stung and involuntarily drop the super I was holding... the thought of the resulting consequence was enough for me to get a jacket with a veiled hood, like iddee mentioned. Easy on/off. Some of the newer ones even have a zip front, so it is even easier than mine.

I put on the full suit when I'm going for longer inspections, just because I am more comfortable that way. I think it is very important to feel comfortable. I believe the bees sense when you are not and are more testy.

8. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I wear a jacket most times and gloves sometimes. Like Hobie said, it's a comfort thing.

When I started it was short sleeves and a veil. Then I found out that I end up looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy when I get stung (see Jack's post), so I went for the jacket and hood.

Then I found out that my hands end up looking like catchers' mits when they get stung. I don't like wearing the gloves, and often don't, but they're on when I'm fussing around and the girls are a little testy (keep them in my jacket pocket just in case).

Walt

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jack writes:
    I don't like stings to the face (can't afford anymore ugly

tecumseh:
    I simply don't like the girls messin' with my pretty face :roll: .

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

tecumseh:
    I simply don't like the girls messin' with my pretty face :roll:

Perrybee:
    I did not know you were Muhammed Ali's writer! :mrgreen:

11. Barbie

Barbie New Member

Re: stings

I read recently to tape a penny on your sting for 15 minutes, somehow the copper in the penny counteracts the sting.

Worth a try.....

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Doesn't work. Tried it a week ago on my wife. She said it made it worse.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Did you use a real copper penny. or one of those new, fake ones? Gotta be pre-1982.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK. Next time I'll use the 1905 Indian head I carry in my wallet. We'll see if it works.

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

to old karma gone on that one. Its got to be a wheat pennie and not the steel ones made during the war its the combination of copper and wheat shocks that do the trick. (Got to be from the Wheat State Kansas to have this classified information) Oh and did i mention you must be in illinios the land of lincoln for this to work :Dancing: :D

16. Murrell

Murrell New Member

This may have worked when penny's were copper, now they are steel with a thin copper coating.

Remember putting a penny on the railroad tracks ? After the train past they were all squished, heard it don't work on new steel penny's !

Murrell

17. Zulu

Zulu Member

They still get squashed. 300 tonnes will squish most things

18. indigoeye

indigoeye New Member

My husband and I are new to beekeeping and we learned the other day that you should always use your veil. We were trying to take a photo of our frames to check for eggs when all of a sudden my husband took off running and left me holding the bag so to speak. :eek: He was stung on the eyelid and it puffed up pretty good! Luckly I work as a vet tech and had some topical spray he could use on it for inflammation, etc. but it was a good lesson. No matter how happy your bees seem they can still get you when your not paying attention.

Oh and FYI...the Penny thing did not work for us either.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    Let's see, partner stung, camera right there, hmmmm.
    Sting pictures are allowed. ;) :mrgreen: :lol:

20. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Actually I think they are zinc... not even steel! Don't leave your pennies lying around in water where there is stray electrical current, or they will dissolve.

Some where I have a railroad penny that was hit off-center and only half was flattened. Pretty cool!