Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm just starting beekeeping this year and am narrowing down where to place the hive. We have an acre of land and supportive neighbors so I'm not worried about them bothering anyone. I was going to put them right against our raspberry canes to prevent a back draft and that leaves me with the option of having them face east or west. If they face east, they go straight out to the yard. If they face west, they'll be right at the edge of my large vegetable garden. Everything I've read gives mixed advice about which is preferable. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
859 Posts
they should be facing south..that is optimal, or towards east....you will get the best results that way..

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
Mine used to face east, and one still does, now the other a bush grew up by the entrance and they found a way out of a cheap bottom board to exit to the west, so when I replaced the bottom board I aimed them west.. I'm in Texas, the south wind in summer would not be good coming in the front entrance

·
Registered
18 Posts
My hives face east. I have them against a tree line that then shades them from the sun/heat in the afternoon. It also provides a windbreak from our westerly winds in the winter. Facing them east or south gets the hives warmed up quicker in the morning and gets the girls working. If you have neighbor or yard issues, construct a fence in front of your hives about 5' away or so. The bees will come out and go up over the fence thereby getting higher in the air and perhaps not having humans in their flight path. The fence should be solid, like a stockade type and should probably be at least 5-6' high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts