How is this, for October?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ablanton, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

This is my spring package in two deeps. Is this a good number of bees for this time of year?

pic.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The number of bees looks alright (assuming there are plenty of bees below as well). How big are your boxes? The reason is I count 10 frames but it looks like one is missing. The gap between the last frame and the side of your box is far too large, resulting in all that burr comb they have built there. That frame will be difficult to remove and if it is the same thing on the other side, well................
    For a package in spring you are doing well. :thumbsup:

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

To elaborate on Perry's comment, I would recommend that you clear out that burr comb before you close down for winter and place a "closing board" to block off the space at the side of the last frame so as to keep the bees from rebuilding anything there. If you have a built frame (even if it is empty of honey) to place there and bring the number of frames up to ten to fill the box, that would be just as good.
    Assuming that the bottom box is covered as well with bees, it looks like you'll be going into winter nicely. :thumbsup:

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Yes, the bottom box is just as full of bees as the top box.

There are 10 frames in there. I built this hive myself and screwed up the measurements. It is slightly wider than it should be, but I think part of the problem is the frames are a little right of center. The other side doesn't have any burr comb.

I cleaned the burr comb out two weeks ago and they have already built it back. I guess I should do as efmesch suggests and put a board in to close up the space.

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Looks pretty good as far as population. To fix the space problem I would. 1. space all the frames evenly across the box, but that may lead to burr comb between frames. 2. Make a plywood insert shaped like a frame only solid to fill in the extra space.3. If you have room drop in another frame or a frame type feeder in. Jim

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

pop looks ok how are the honey and pollen stores? and do as they have said and fill the gap

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

It almost looks like you can add a 11th frame

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Do you need 2 deeps in North Carolina? I'm not challenging you I'm just learning.

I attended a meeting yesterday and our guest speaker was Dr. Dennis vanEngelsdorp. In talking about wintering here in Southern NJ he speculated that we probably could winter in 1 deep if we were prepared to feed candy in an emergency, and if we were "hands on" beeks that would periodically check for stores on most of the warmer days.

After last winter and seeing how one of my hives wintered on a deep and a medium and had honey to spare come springtime, I can see this being a possibility.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Two deeps are not required here, but does make for free insurance and greatly simplifies a split in the spring.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Has anyone else seen Dennis vanEnglesdorp? Prince Edward Island brought him in as a guest speaker and I'm still PO'd at myself for not taking the day or 2 to go to their AGM and see him. :dash1:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, he has spoke at the NC state beek meeting. Quite a knowledgeable fellow.