How is your club set up?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Jan 13, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I was at the bank asking about some things, and the conversation about association and clubs came up. I had made the comment about if it was possible to open an account for a bee group, without going through the hassles of fictitious name registration, 501(c) filing etc. She assured me that any account other than a personal account, would need to be set up as a business, or follow the guidelines of an association and required to file for federal tax exemption status, EIN, etc.

I never really thought about it. So are all bee associations filing tax reports or have tax exemption status, etc. I just kind of thought that they collected annual dues, placed them in a bank account, and payed what they needed. But how can one even get a bank account for a club such as "First County Bee Assoc." without jumping through the many hoops?

Please PM if you want. Not opening any cans of worms. Just wanting some personal information for my own use. Two counties close by do not have bee clubs, and another beek had asked me what would be involved and how to go about it. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In NC, the state club jumps through all the hoops, files the taxes, ETC. All the county clubs are affiliates of the state club. It definitely simplifies things.