How late to feed syrup?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Oct 20, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I have one hive that's lighter than I want it to be and wanted to give them a couple gal 2:1 but it's awful late. We have forecast highs 60s and 70s until Thurs and then the temps drop maybe for good. Is it necessarily a bad thing if they don't cure and cap syrup completely? I have a top entrance to vent water vapor and will be putting foam boards on the tops of all hives tomorrow. Wondering if i should just make a candy board for this hive instead of feeding syrup.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

We are supposed to have "Indian Summer" this coming week with five or so days near 78/79. I am feeding syrup until November. The experienced keeps around here have mostly said they place candy boards on mid to late November. You are not too far to the west of us...I live just off I-74, which connects Indy and E. Peoria pretty much straight shot. So, we should be seeing similar temps prior to December and beyond. As I understand, the bees will stop using energies to cap near the end of the season because they will be using it soon. I would imagine they use those uncapped stores first...?

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

If you follow my "Hive in Trouble" post you will see I'm feed a troubled hive candy board with megabee right now. But, I'm way out of the norm. With the temps rising this week I'm going back to syrup as of today till it cools gain. I'm trying anything to get these gals ready for winter.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

If you do feed syrup in a top feeder now, close up the top entrance and maintain just a single small 1" inch bottom entrance, otherwise you may start a robbing frenzy.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I am feeding syrup but my bees are barely taking it - less than a quart a week. We must have a flow.

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I always seal up the top with the top feeder on. I made some spacers this morning with 3/4" holes drilled with screen on the inside which will keep the ventilation going but keep pests out.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I pulled the 2:1 from my hives a week ago. we have had the longest and coldest streak so far this fall since then. basically I was just watching the weather and the bees. they had slowed way down in taking the syrup and the weather was calling for a cold snap. I have little doubt the cold snap will not last and a week from now the syrup could be back on the hive. Not sure I need it, not sure I don't. I am probably least prepared this being my first year of beekeeping to have any idea how much my bees will need. We can have very mild winters. my bees could be active for periods of each day all teh way through winter. It could turn cold and my bees will moslty be clustered for the next 4 months. it varies wildly. They really didn't fly at all for the very first time yesterday. It is rainy and cold today. I know they have honey. lots of it. so for today I am certain they are okay.

8. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I put quart jars of syrup on all my hives 2 days ago and they are sucked dry now. Refilling today. I give it to them until they quit taking it.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Ditto, even if the night temps drop and they cluster, you might be surprised how much feed they can take down during the day.