How long before a new Introduced queen starts to Lay Eggs?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by pastorvcog, Jun 16, 2012.

1. pastorvcog

pastorvcog New Member

I had a nuc that I purchased and the queen started to fail so I let the hive just replace her, but it seemed every time one would hatch the hive or the old queen would kill her. I tried to find the old queen 4 or 5 times but could just never spot her, so I took the hive out about a 100 yards and shock them out and then took the hive back and installed a new queen that I ordered. (I did find the old queen after that in a ball of bees on the ground) I let her go a 2 days ago and I checked the hive today and had no trouble finding her, but I didn't see any signs of eggs. how long will it take for her to start laying?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

She should be laying within 7 days of installation.

3. pastorvcog

pastorvcog New Member

I checked today and the new installed queen i bought is still not laying 9 days later, but i did see her

4. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Give it a bit more time. A new queen won't go in to full blown egg laying mode right away. I installed a new queen on the 7th an only found young larva today. Unless you studied every square inch of every frame, you may have missed the small patch where she started. I have a hard time spotting eggs.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would be calling the seller and asking him what he thought.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

pastorvcog,
    a very warm welcome to the forum!
    what state are you in in the usa?.....this is of great help to you and others when we post difficulties or have questions with our hives to help another keep out.

with what you have posted, "I checked today and the new installed queen i bought is still not laying 9 days later, but i did see her"

i would follow iddee's advice about the new installed queen..."I would be calling the seller and asking him what he thought."
    (or she :grin:)

again, welcome!

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings on joining the forum. :hi: Glad to have you with us.
    That shaking-off was a wise move. I can understand your impatience to see the new queen laying eggs, after having gone through so much to finally get rid of the old one, but they all do their own thing in their own time. Another few days and the larvae will be large enough for you to spot them easily. Best policy at this time is not to bother her with unnecessary examinations, instead, just give a puff of smoke, open the hive roof and cover and listen to what they tell you. If They "humm along" as they carry on with their business and ignore you, cover it back up and rest assured that all is coming along well. If they buzz angrily and act antagonistic, then you might have a problem.

8. pastorvcog

pastorvcog New Member

Thanks for all the Info. glad to have found this forum and yall have been a great help. This is my first year beekeeping. I will say the other Nuc I bought with the first one has filled two deeps and is laying down honey in the super i installed a week. I think I will call the supplier AND leave them alone... LOL.... o by the way I live in south central Virginia.