How long do I need to feed sugar water?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Apr 21, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I attended a 4 hour beginning beekeeper class last week and the instructor answered the question this way; " As long as they'll take it. They'll stop taking the sugar water when they no longer need it."

Is that what most of you do?

Thanks,

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Pretty much sums it up for me. They'll stop taking it when they have a better source (the real deal)..

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suggest that you feed a package until you have a full box of bees. This allow a new hive to have population and resource to get it beyond any bumps in the road*.

any advice is subject to the context of your environment (location). honey flows are not exactly the same everywhere you go, so in some places (like here for example) you may be in a flow in the morning and in a dearth in the afternoon. in such a circumstance following rigorously the advice to remove the feeder when the bees quit taking syrup may not be the best of advice.

*then think about feeding anytime you want to produce young bees (for example to make a long winter) or anytime the hive is light (has little to no heft).

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I've only been in this for a month this week and I followed some bad advice. The guy I bought all my hives, bees and equipment from said there was no need to feed bees in our area after February. Being ignorant, I took his advice. A friend who attended the same class told me his bees were still taking the sugar water so I mixed up two quarts and set them out for my first attempt at feeding the bees. Since April 19th, my one colony of bees have consumed almost 2 gallon of sugar syrup and will need more tomorrow.

My bees were hungry!

And the "no feed after February logic" may explain why my friend lost two out of three colonies this past winter.

Along with the stuff I got were 10 "Mega Bee Honey-B-Healthy" patties. Since the bees were hungry, I thought I'd try a mix of that and mixed it up according to direction on the pack: 1/4 lb. patty and 1/2 gallon of syrup into a solution. But the bees don't seem to be taking it as well as they did the regular 1:1 sugar water.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Feed a new hive until the brood chamber is full and you are ready to add a honey super, if they will take it. Do not feed while honey supers are on unless you want to eat sugar rather than honey.

Just make sure they do not fill the boxes completely. They have to have room to put it or they will store it in the brood chamber and the queen will have no place to lay. Then she will swarm.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

My brother in law and I installed bee packages on April 15th. He installed two and I installed one. None of those hives are taking in the sugar water mixed at 1:1. We are using hive top feeders. When we installed the packages we added some frames of honey we had in the freezer from a hive that went queenless last fall. They are busy building comb and bringing in pollen. Is there a reason they would not take the sugar water at all? They appear to be doing fine other than not taking the sugar water. His hives are located a little over hundred miles north of mine.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

They found something they like better. :thumbsup: Jack