Ran a small scale observaation on Varroa mites from one of my hives. I was taking off honey for extraction and found some unemerged drone cells where they shouldn't have been. I decided to see if these drones were infested with mites and opened the cells and extracted the larvae/pupae one by one. Not all were infested, but there were several which convinced me that I was starating to get a varroa buildup that needs attention. I ntend to try my fogger with food grade mineral oil --if I can get it to work. If not, I'll probably use check-mite. At any rate, I decided to collect several mites from the cells and see how long they could live in an empty vial without hosts to feed on. Here's one of them. The vials were sealed with a small wad of cotton. I confess that I didn't run this observation as if it was a real scientific experiment, (I was busy with the extracting and associated activities too, plus company visiting) but did manage to follow them for two days. After 24 hours about half of them were still alive. After 48 hours they were all dead. Sorry that I didn't make exact counts nor run hourly checks, but take it for whatever it's worth. Incidentally, the light smear marks on the glass are from the mites--I assume their waste products, the vial was new and totally clean before the mites were put in.