How long does it take to melt cappings?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by srvfantexasflood, Nov 17, 2012.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I know this sounds like a 4 year old on a long car drive (are we there yet?). How long does it take to melt cappings?
    I put my cappings in a metal bowl over a pan of boiling water for about an hour with no sign of melting. I gave up for the night, fearing I might fall asleep with that on the stove. I guess I was expecting the wax to melt as quickly as chocolate.:grin:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you use a double boiler set-up it should only take a short while to start melting.
    Partially fill your bigger pot with water, place a trivet in it and then set your smaller pot with the wax on the trivet, making sure the water comes up a few inches on the inner pot. Bring the water in the bigger pot to a soft boil and you should see results quickly.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

An old garage sale crock pot works good for melting wax the clay pot inside the cooking part acts like a double boiler. And they are cheep look in the classified section for garage sales this weekend and with a short drive from your home you will have one in no time.Where talking 2 to 5 bucks in price. You can set the temp at 145* but watch and check the temp the first time cause the scale on some pots are not that accurate.
    Beeswax has a high melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F). If beeswax is heated above 85 °C (185 °F) discoloration occurs. The flash point of beeswax is 204.4 °C (399.9 °F).
    And for all you guys out there Don't even think about using your wife's cause you will never get it clean enough for her to use again.

4. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

" Don't even think about using your wife's cause you will never get it clean enough for her to use again."

Been there...........done that.......:doh:

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I think I have this figured out now. Melted some cappings I had in the freezer dated 2009. Beautiful wax, if I say so myself. I just completed my first batch of lip balm and am waiting for it harden. I must make a mental note to myself. The coconut oil container is extremely slippery if you dribble oil down the sides. :eek: