How long have you had your oldest hive for?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by paint504, Jun 29, 2015.

1. paint504

paint504 Member

New to bee keeping and was wondering how old a bee colony can last.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

hive or queen? I have always had a hive here since 2012, tried to go down to 1 last year, a mated queen returned so I went to 2, she made it through the winter, although she has swarmed to a nuc and left a daughter who seems to have failed so I merged with a nuc with a small swarm/cutout whose queen is an egg from last year's original returned queen.

I don't have a hive now that is as it was last year, and I sold off one last year, lost one to a freeze, etc. so define bee colony? in a way I have had this kind of bees and part of the dna here since 2012, in another way I don't have a hive over a year old.

3. paint504

paint504 Member

Queens come and go I'm talking about the bees themselves. They keep replenishing their numbers. I'm just wondering how long someone had a hive without losing them to a winter, disease, CCD, exc

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I think it's kindda like my ax. Its had eight handles and three heads, but I've had it for 35 years.:roll:

Bees last, what, about six weeks... maybe 16 in the dead of winter. I doubt I have had a queen for more than 18-20 months without superceedure. Even on plastic, I don't think I have comb that goes more than three seasons without getting really nasty, so it gets scraped. I manipulate a good bit.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I want to say 2 years in the same box. but a lot of moving from hive to hive around here.