how long should I feed my new swarm?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by gerretw, May 13, 2016.

1. gerretw

gerretw New Member

I have a hive with a regular on the bottom, and a medium on the top. I was given a swarm by a bee keeper. He put the pail feeder in the upper hive after removing some frames. When I checked after a few days, they had made some comb hanging from the lid next to the feeder.

I removed the feeder, added some frames, but left the comb they started. Once I got the feeder set up properly, they ran through a quart of the syrup. I have seen very little activity on the outside, so today I took a look inside. I didn't look at the lower box, but in the upper I didn't see much comb building on the frames, however, the comb they built was full of the sugar syrup.

Should I continue to feed them the syrup or stop it to get them out and getting pollen & nectar? I have seen some coming in with pollen, but only a few - and there's not much activity going on outside the hive.

I live in LA and it has been cool last week, but now it has warmed up.

Any suggestions?

G

2. camero7

camero7 Member

remove the comb they started from the cover. It will haunt you for a while if you don't. Check some of the lower frames. Make sure they are not backfilling the brood nest. Make sure you have all the frames in the hive. It will result in wonky comb if you don't. If they are not backfilling the brood nest keep feeding until they have drawn out almost all of the comb. If you have a good flow on you could stop feeding but I like to feed until the frames are built out.

3. gerretw

gerretw New Member

Thanks - what should I do with the wax and syrup they stored in the comb they built? Will they reuse it if I make it available to them? If so, how would I do that? G

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Leave it out around the hive and they will scavenge the honey. After they clean it up, you can start saving the wax... you will learn how to use it down the road.

5. gerretw

gerretw New Member

I looked in the hive sunday - there was only comb with sugar water in it - no sign of a queen, no brood. I saw a drone or two. I removed the comb with the sugar water, filled the hive with frames and got rid of the medium frames, so it was just one box with the regular frames, then I introduced a queen I bought from Bills Bees. Hopefully they will accept her. Bill told me to wait 10 days before checking on the hive. They cleaned oout the comb of the sugar water really quickly. So there we are. G

6. camero7

camero7 Member

I agree, wait 10 days before checking.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

8. JLeasure

JLeasure New Member

I feed until they stop taking it. When the have good stores they will start forging you will see because the sugar water will still be in the jar