How long to feed syrup

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Vance, May 19, 2010.

1. Vance

Vance New Member

I captured a swarm 4 weeks ago. Put them in single deep with 1 frame of drawn comb. They completely drew the frames in the deep in 2 weeks. Put second deep on 2 weeks ago, they have now drawn out all but the outside frames on that deep, I looked at that deep on Monday and the queen has layed in almost every cell on both sides of 5 frames in that deep. I have feed 8 gallons of 1:1 in 4 weeks and they keep taking it. We are also in the middle of a very good flow. Should i keep feeding or stop?

Vance

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would quit feeding and add a honey super, with the hope of getting a harvest.

3. Vance

Vance New Member

Thanks for the reply. They have stored so much syrup will they move it into a super when i add one?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not if there is a flow on.

5. Vance

Vance New Member

Great thanks, I guess i'll give them a super today. I've never seen a swarm work like this one does.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

man them are junk lazy bees if i was closer i would come and take them off your hands. lol

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

My general rule of thumb, advising beekeepers who are starting a new hive, is feed a colony until it stops taking the syrup. As iddy said, sorta, if there is a flow on they will ignore the syrup.

This time of year, I assume, you are feeding them to draw foundation? If so, I would think that in Texas, either the nectar is flowing or it has gone by. No?

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my rule for either starting from nucs, packages or captured swarm is to feed them until they are 1 box of bees. Of course feeding to encourage the pulling of wax beyond one box is not necessarily a bad idea.... for example having extras is always useful if you wish to capture swarms.