How many backyard keeps here?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverbee, Apr 28, 2012.

Beekeeping Poll For The Thread

1. Suburban Beekeeper

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Rural Beekeeper

43 vote(s)
    59.7%
  3. Commercial Beekeeper

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Governed by Ordinance

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Legal Beekeeper

39 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. Not Legal Beekeeper

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Hive # 1-5

36 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. Hive # 5-10

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. Hive # 10-20

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  10. Hive # 20 +

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

This week I listened to a progam on Minnesota Public Radio, with multiple segments, regarding the ‘boom’ of back yard beekeepers, and also, in the city of Minneapolis and suburbs of. Guests were Dr. Marla Spivak, University of Minnesota Bee Lab, and Dr. Gene Robinson of the University of Illinois who recently introduced research relative to honey bees having personalities.

Articles and audio provided here, the audio with the Docs is worth a listen to:
    Beekeeping Legal in Minneapolis
    Beekeeping Permits Jump in Minneapolis
    Plight Of The Bees Spivak and Robinson
    Model Beekeeping Ordinance MN

It was amazing to me how many ‘illegal keeps’ there are in suburban settings. In the city of Minneapolis keeps are required to obtain a permit, take a BK class and pass a BK test. Register their hives at $100 and pay 50$ every year thereafter for those hives, erect a fence and obtain consent from any neighbor within 100 feet.

I am not looking to start a debate here about the rights or wrongs of city government and beekeeping. :grin: ….would have plenty to say on that myself.

I would like to ‘take a poll’ or know how many keeps here are suburban backyard beekeepers or beekeepers governed in a rural area:

how many hives do you keep?
    Legal or not?
    Been through a rat race of a beekeeping ordinance and requirements you must meet?
    Any other comments you would like to share.

Someone jump in and start out, thanks!
    ps, i am trying to create a 'poll' for this thread, so forgive me if i don't get it right!

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I live in a rural area, no local ordinances although Ohio has a registration requirement- an outrageous $5.00 per year per bee yard.
    No problems with either of my neighbors-1 right next door and the other close neighbor 1/4 mile down the road. In fact my next-door neighbor is bed-ridden for the rest of his life, due to a stroke, and he has me managing his 5 hives.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks gunsmith for your post, and your vote on the poll, i appreciate it.

i did create the poll for the thread but don't know that i want this public as to other's answers? i am only interested in the numbers.....
    this is a charles question indeed!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

who's back yard are we talking about here?

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

anyone's backyard tecumseh, anywhere you are in the USA.....and anywhere on the planet you keep bees.
    and of course your comments are always educational and welcome:grin:

6. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Hi Riverbee, here is my info...
    To the best of my knowledge there are many other beeks on here that know NC laws far better than I do... so my basics for you:

2 colonies - goal is 4, I hope...
    backyard - yes
    rural farmland - yes
    legal - I think so???
    Rat race - Not yet....I took a class, because it was the right thing for me 'book learner', and I relayed the bee facts to Steve (haha)..Steve is a 'hands on' learner. But in truth, the combination of a bee association and class/books and forums - and talking at schools to kids and volunteering with the more experienced beeks.. is what we needed for us...
    but it should not be required, because like Steve, many are hands on...others have been second and third generation...
    I have all the facts in my head but it doesn't mean squat when I open the top cover and find that the bees are using a different owners manual!

Govt and neighbors? (I will be nice) :lol:
    And certainly a governmental, an uninformed yellow jacket/wasp educated society can't begin to tell me what is best for my bees, until they have donned a veil, and grabbed a frame themselves....

But if they did try to tell us, though, we would move deeper into the hollow!

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

2 hives in my backyard and 8 out in the country
    legal. yes
    No rat race here
    Neighbors have no problems and love the Qt. samples every year.

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Mmmmm on iPad it would not let me pick Suburban plus hive number

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well, i seem to have created a poll right now that one can only vote on one choice, another 'charles question' :grin:
    my apologies, but please post, if you can only vote on one question!
    you too tecumseh, i also wanted to know how many commercial keeps we have as well....

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

alright,
    for all of you that have already posted here, and tried to vote on this poll with multiple answers and couldn't, this was my mistake, because i didn't add an option for 'multiple choice'. charles is going to delete the poll and start a new poll, with the same questions giving each of you to make multiple choices, so, i would ask those who have already posted, and voted to come back and vote when charles corrects my mistake,
    thanks!

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am a sudurban bekeep
    2 hives
    legal I hope so
    Let neighbors find out on own

kebee

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Actually, mine are in the front yard. But I'm out in the country and I sent in my registration form to the state (no fee required)(I haven't heard back from them yet). Closest neighbor is 1/4 mile. I live beside Watts Bar Lake/Tennessee River so they have plenty of water. The closest beekeeper that I am aware of is 5 miles from here.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I live in town but keep bees outside of town (mostly :wink:)
    Down to 13 hives after bad wintering.
    Legal
    Registered - free (most hobbiest's I know aren't). The only other requirement is your beekeeping code, once registered (issued) must be displayed on all brood chamber boxes (including nucs) for identification.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Here the state wants you to register your hives at no cost and the state man will give free inspections.

Rural here, well sort of, the rat race is moving in on me.

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks to all of you in the beginnings of this thread.
    this thread was 'restarted' because no one was able to choose mulitple choices for their votes in my poll, (my mistake), so i would invite you all back to 'vote' on the poll, and anyone else who posted in the original thread and couldn't select multiple boxes, NOW YOU CAN.....a HUGE THANK YOU TO CHARLES, he had to move my original thread with all of your posts intact, but could not move the votes....
    sorry guys, please humor me and vote or revote in the poll :doh::lol:

16. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

3 hives on the farm closest neighbor two miles give or take legal
    5 frame nuc at the house closest neighbor 30 feet, no laws, ordinance against it according to the ag extension office
    no rat race
    my neighbors are probably more concerned that I will level the block with my firework making in June and July

17. pturley

pturley New Member

I have two hives currently in my back yard. We live in town, but have a great yard (0.7 acres, 330 feet deep!). I'll be moving these a bit later once I am sure they are drawing out the frames well.

Once moved, I'll fill out the paperwork with the state to register the hives. I'll likely keep using my back yard for breeding nucs or to keep a queen or two in reserve. Add to that, it'll help both my neighbors' and my garden. (neighbors on both sides have literally BEGGED me to keep bees in the yard!)

To explain how bad it's been, just last year between three gardens and nearly a dozen vines we had a grand total of two small (~9" diameter) pumpkins! It was a very bad year for bees last year! I (we) had several vines of other varieties of squash as well. I didn't get a single spaghetti or acorn squash (yes, I had both male and female flowers)! Both were "heirloom" seed varieties. Zuchinnis are about the only squash that produced for us last summer but these are self-fertile!

I have agreements with two property owners and another in the works for more rural bee yards. Of these with agreements, one is a large wooded lot, but is quite far away (Spencer). The other is a small back yard but is adjoining ~75 acres of open pasture (horse yard) and several large stands of trees.

The third lot I am working on is a small section of low fallow behind a creek bed along 300+ acres of farmland. At 6 miles away, this is closest, but also likely the least usable property in terms of forage (along with possible pesticide use on the adjoining farmland). The property owner is in favor of it... ... I just need to talk to the farmer that is leasing/farming the adjoining property about his plans for crops and spraying this year.

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Technically I'm a city beekeeper - Fort Worth.
    Actually with about maybe 10 houses on as many acres, all on double lots, I'm more a rural beekeeper than city. Fort Worth annexed this area in the 1990's. We ran the developers off the last time. If the bulldozers show up I move.

As if today 4 hives - my nucs came today, but one of them moved into a bee tree stump and I'm still trying to get them out.

Semi-legal. I had no bees to inspect when I applied. As soon as I empty the stump, I'll have to pay either a $35 permit or $125 for an inspection or something. I don't quite know the rules yet. But I will be legal. I'm legal for cutouts and bee transport and registered for 50 hives in a 9 county area. (didn't quite catch the multiple option, even though it was fixed.)

Gypsi

19. Zulu

Zulu Member

Suburban beek, 8 hives in back yard (so far), and 2 additional on farm across the road where my Boy Scout program is run. All legal, and NC has excellent bee inspectors who come out at no charge, and we also have no need for registration. I am halfway to being a certified Beekeeper, with budget cuts the management of the program changed and I am waiting to do my oral and practical exam.

Yes the above is kinda contradictory, I am in the city, but have a 65 acre farm across the road, family owned since 1741..... Only cows and my Hops and bees. ( the owner welcomed my use of the land to help keep it AG)
    It is zoned AG and will not be developed, which is why I live where I do.

We have a simple ordinance in the city, but no issues as far as I know. I keep chickens also legally. My property is 3/4 of an acre.

20. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Hope I never have to be registered. Local policy seems to be ---- administration fee on everything.