How many bees are needed in a nuc when introducing a new queen?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Kevin, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Hey all, so im splitting my strong hive into two new nucs as I couldnt find my queen.
    When doing the first one I ended up only getting 1 handful of nurse bees into the nuc with three brood frames. Is this enough when introducing a new queen?

Tomorrow morning Im taking the next nuc off the original hive(basicly the remainder less queen I hope), there is a queen excluder in between. Should I newspaper join a few more bees into hive 1 when I have a chance tomorrow, the queen was introduced 2 days ago into hive 1.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

After the split, move the original hive and place #1 in it's location. That will boost the numbers in #1.

3. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Kevin...You pulled the brood with only a handful of bees two days ago? Tomorrow will be day 3? If there was not enough bees to pretty much cover the brood, that brood may very well be dead. If so, I would take a good hard look at that brood before proceeding on a second split. JMO! Perhaps I misunderstood... :???:

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

When making up a mating nuc I don't like to have a lot of brood in the nuc. When the nuc settles down, you need sufficient adult bees to raise the unsealed brood and cover the sealed brood to keep it warm. When assembling, I prefer to shake some extra bees onto the frames in the nuc. The foragers will return to the original hive, leaving the younger bees to look after the brood.

5. Kevin

Kevin New Member

HI all, I think Im in trouble.
    I pulled a couple of frames out the nuc as there were not enough bees to cover them. I then tried newspaper joining a few more bees, when I checked today there were a number of dead ones and not many more in the nuc. Id say about 1 frame both sides. Also, they have not released the queen yet.
    What do I do???

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Did you read reply #2?

7. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Hi Iddee, I did, but couldnt move hive #1. So when I did the paper join, it didnt work. My mate brought me some more bees this evening so I paper joined them again this evening. So now I have 3 hands full. I think it should work now.
    Iddee, Im concerned that the queen has not eaten out and that they had closed most holes in the cage with propolis. Should I just leave them be until they release her.
    ‚ÄčKevin

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I opened one today I placed a queen in 10 days ago.They had not eaten her out.I tore the screen open and released her. I would release her if it has been 5 days or more.

9. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Kevin, is this the African hive/European queen you were talking about in another thread?

10. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Yes it is Wolfer.
    Iddee, even if I paper joined a few more bees last night?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't understand why you can't switch places with the nuc and the large hive. That is what I would do.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you can by using a few tricks of the trade add a few bees.... there are obvious risk in doing this and most experienced beekeeper would rather make up split of the proper population rather than taking this risk and add this extra step to their work load.

adding a small bit of bees is much easier when the temperatures are cool than when hot. the simply remedy is to make up some sugar water with some wintergreen oil (approximately one drop to one quart) and spray down the bees you are adding to the box <ideally adding bees in this way should be done just at the end of the day when they will be forced to set in the box until the next morning.

with smaller units Iddee's approach makes more sense to me but if one or both of the boxes is large sometimes moving the position of the boxes is just not that doable.

13. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Ive added the bees, I see they are flying about today and looking good. Got a queen excluder on as they may not bee too happy with the dead brood.
    Should I release the queen tomorrow evening?

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If I'm looking right, it has been five days. That would be a minimum. I just left a queen in the cage with the candy for 10 days.""accidentally""

The bees fed her and she was fine. I released her yesterday. You can wait a couple more days if you want. She should be fine.

15. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Its been 7 days now for #1. And been in their cage for 11 days now.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would guess it would be safe to release any time now.

17. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Well, definitely more drama. SO I opened the hive and they were nearly eaten through. Due to their being propolis on the queen cage I released her, when I opened her up, she must have fallen out cos I coudnt find her, I spotted her on the bottom board, alone. I then closed up. I hope the other bees are OK with her when she climbs up?
    I also noticed that the german assistant bees were in an arched position when they came out and there was lots of buzzing. The African bees smelling the back of the german bees.
    What are your thoughts?

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would leave them to settle in for 10 days and then look for brood.

19. Kevin

Kevin New Member

There is not much action outside the hive today, is this normal? I can see theyre trying to throw some dead ones out, but not having much luck with the queen excluder.

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

beekeeper don't do normal.... there has never been anything normal in this game as far as I can tell.... mostly we are alerted by the abnormal or what looks to be out of place at any given time.