How many boxes for the bees?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 3, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm running an 8 frame deep for my bottom box and everything else I own is 8 frame mediums. I just added a medium on top of the deep. Should I plan on 1 deep and 2 mediums for the bees and then whatever I add on top of that is for honey? I'm in Southern NJ.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

1 deep and one super for brood , rest is for honey.

But as Iddee will tell you - the bees will decide :) how they store / use the boxes.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

This is where I confuse terminology. What is a deep vs a super?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All boxes are supers in some circles. IE: Deep, medium, shallow supers.

Other circles use the term brood chamber for brood and super for honey. It can be confusing. With 8 frame, I would use the deep and 2 mediums for the brood and other mediums for honey. That will give you the equivalent of approx. thirteen deep frames for the bees. That is about the minimum for a New Jersey winter. The best measure is, you should try to go into winter with 50 lbs. of stores for the bees.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm catching on now; it takes me awhile.

Do I still give them a deep and 2 mediums in the spring/summer?

In all likelyhood, what will they be using each box for?

I know the bottom will be eggs, larvae, and stores to feed them in the next medium box.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It will vary. Mainly, you want to give them more room when food is coming in, less when it's being consumed. If you can keep the hive 60 to 80 % full at all times, you have things right.
    More in spring , less in winter. Each hive will vary.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an iddee snip..
    The best measure is, you should try to go into winter with 50 lbs. of stores for the bees.

tecumseh:
    the best numbers I can glean from various books is somewhere around 22 kg. this quantity of honey likely gets you thru early spring but doesn't allow for a heavy brooding queen and the significant spring time resources required to generate lots of new bees.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

22 kilo. equates to 48.5 lb. We are very near in agreement, tec. :p :D

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Don't forget to add a bunch of honey supers... don't wait for one to fill up before adding more... they need several empty ones to draw wax and temporarily house nectar in order to make a good honey crop. If all they have is room in one more super, they will not be able to make more honey until they draw the wax, then they'll only have that much space for nectar which means by the time they condense it down to honey it'll only be 1/3rd or so, filled.

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

More supers?! lol

My first pound of honey should come in at right around $1000.00 lol

So I'll plan for 1 deep and 2 mediums for the bees to live in and 3 supers per hive for the honey. That'll leave me 2 supers of actual honey in a perfect world?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

After you have drawn comb to add, you can put 2, 3, or even 4 on at once. I highly advise against adding more than 1 super of foundation at a time.

12. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

So when I add that 1st medium honey super what are the bees going to do with it? I know I'm getting real basic here but I'm trying to see it in my head lol. :think:

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The bees don't know brood super from honey super. It is just their home. They will fill it as the incoming supplies allow.