How many boxes?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 1, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I have 2 hives. Right now each one consist of an eight frame deep hive body, top feeder and lids. I am going to add medium boxes this evening since the rest of my equiptment is mediums. Should I leave them 1 deep and 2 mediums for their needs or just 1 deep and 1 medium? We're in Southern NJ.

Can I just add all the boxes (4 more mediums per hive) now or should I be gradual?

The current deep boxes have 5-6 fully drawn out frames and is packed with bees. They are working on the remaining 2-3 frames.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Re: How may boxes?

If you are adding medium boxes of undrawn foundation, do it one box at a time. As your bees draw out comb, when each box gets to the point where there is only 2 or 3 frames left to draw out, add another box of foundation. Don't put all your boxes of undrawn foundation on at once, do it gradually for better results.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Would it be advisable to move the less developed outside frames to the middle or just leave them alone?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Moving them in a frame or two will help. I would not move them INTO the brood nest.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Never disrupt a developing brood chamber, particularily brood frames. Like Iddee said, a position or two at most.
    Once they become powerhouses, I have dropped frames of foundation right in the middle of a brood chamber, but only when there is a heavy workforce, enough to keep the brood covered and draw comb quickly.