Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives. Right now each one consist of an eight frame deep hive body, top feeder and lids. I am going to add medium boxes this evening since the rest of my equiptment is mediums. Should I leave them 1 deep and 2 mediums for their needs or just 1 deep and 1 medium? We're in Southern NJ.

Can I just add all the boxes (4 more mediums per hive) now or should I be gradual?

The current deep boxes have 5-6 fully drawn out frames and is packed with bees. They are working on the remaining 2-3 frames.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Re: How may boxes?

If you are adding medium boxes of undrawn foundation, do it one box at a time. As your bees draw out comb, when each box gets to the point where there is only 2 or 3 frames left to draw out, add another box of foundation. Don't put all your boxes of undrawn foundation on at once, do it gradually for better results.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Would it be advisable to move the less developed outside frames to the middle or just leave them alone?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

Never disrupt a developing brood chamber, particularily brood frames. Like Iddee said, a position or two at most.
Once they become powerhouses, I have dropped frames of foundation right in the middle of a brood chamber, but only when there is a heavy workforce, enough to keep the brood covered and draw comb quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts