How many brood boxes

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by melrose, Jul 21, 2011.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

I captured a small swarm and placed them in medium boxes, as that was all that I had.
    They are now in three and the population and wax building has exploded past two packages set up more than a week prior.

Should I add another medium as a brood box, or start stacking for honey?

thanks

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

If they need space , add boxes. Bees will use them as they need

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm in southern NJ and am using 1 deep and 2 mediums for the bees and then anything above that is mine.

4. melrose

melrose New Member

I understand that they need space, but, what's the rule of thumb before you start putting honet supers on?
    I see that most use two deeps for brood and mediums on top for honey, how would that equate for mediums for brood?
    Wouldn't they eventually crowd themselves, no matter what, then swarm?

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

All my hives are 1 deep and 1 medium, then on top honey supers. I just followed my mentors setup.

On my big hive i only started taking honey on box 4. Now up to 5th box and already taken 3 boxes off - another off tomorrow.

Then on other 3 hives (nucs) i am still building in box 3. Doubt they will fill a 4 th this year and i will leave them be to see the winter as strong as possible.

Note first year beek, started in Jan working with mentors and with a donated hive in begining of March. Nucs arrived in late May.

Iddee i am sure will correct me if i messed up. :D

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

zulu writes:
    All my hives are 1 deep and 1 medium, then on top honey supers. I just followed my mentors setup.

tecumseh:
    this is pretty much the typical set up for many southern bee keepers. a double deep is more common at more northern locations.

you can (could) calculate the brood area required for a queen. this will vary quite a bit depending on the laying capacity of the individual queen. a medium is about 5/8 the dimension of a deep... so three mediums is about the same volume as a 2 deeps. almost no queen will ever be capable of laying up two double deeps with brood. most queens will be stretched to lay up a story and a half. for the vast majority of queens a single deep body is all the brood area required <having said this a bit of extra is always a good idea.