how many dead bees are exceptional laying in front of the hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, Jul 5, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

i have two pallets on a farm that are side by side and as i approach the hives i notice a lot dead bees on the ground. is this normal? i will try to snap a pic..

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you are seeing that many dead bees there is something wrong. Sounds like pesticide spraying. Ask the farm manager if they have sprayed anything at their farm, of course that doesn't mean the next farm over didn't spray.

3. adamant

adamant Member

G3 thanks for the reply.

I am sure they are always spraying something! Its a 300 ac fruit and vegetable farm. From tomatoes to sweet corn with corn being the largest crop.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

If you know that insecticide spraying, your risking all your colonies being destroyed, and total loss of ANY honey crop coming from a contaminated source. You can limit your damages by moving your hives to a non spray area.
    Barry

5. adamant

adamant Member

Barry can you define a 'non spray area?' Are you referring to 'moving the bees to a area of the farm that not in the spray zone? If so wouldn't still effect the forgers?

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

You will have to either absorb the losses, and maybe wait out the spraying, or move the hives to an area where no spraying ( if you can find a place like that ) is taking place, and hasn't. Another possible side effect of the spraying is your honey might be contaminated by the insecticide. Just food for thought.
    Barry

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a lot of dead bees is not very descriptive.. a picture certainly would have helped.

it appears to me via casual conversation with folks largely involved with pollination that even the sprays that are not designed to kill bugs (herbicides, fungicides that king of thing) will almost invariable interact with stuff that does kill bugs to kill them even faster. you will not find much 'science' written up in regards to this synergistic effect of all those sprays <mind you nothing evil is taking place here it is just a very very complex issue.

I have heard reports of 'normal losses' (in the setting you desribe) of about 50%.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Seen hives with bucketful's of dead bees piled up outside the entrance, 20 hives sprayed with sevin inadvertently. The keep was compensated but not enough to rebuild that site.
    Barry

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have had the dead bees in front of hive a few times. After investigating everyone was due to the spraying of cotton fields. Bad thing is around here cotton is getting to be grown everywhere and its getting hard to find a place that the spraying wont effect them

10. adamant

adamant Member