How many deadouts already?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CharlieB, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I started an overwintering challenge on another forum but I'm curious to see how everyone's hives are doing so far. (If you can even tell depending upon your climate). I've lost 3 out of 35 so far.

2. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Five (3 hives, 2 nucs) of seven (5 hives, 2 nucs)

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Too cold and too hard to tell. I can hear bees when putting my ear up to my hives but that doesn't really tell me if they are a going concern or not, it just tells me there are living bees still in there. (better than the alternative though). Went in with 29, can't tell yet.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Charles have you determined what you lost them to? could be part of the question asked

[h=2]"How many deadouts already?" What is the suspected cause of die off?[/h]Some reasons are obvious Bears, Starvation, Small hive Beetle, some brood diseases, Colony Collapse Disorder, Robbing, Poor Ventilation - Moister, in the case of east coast beekeepers Tropical Storm Sandy, Later on queen failure Slow spring build up. Only to mention a few causes. others are harder to understand and figure out such as mites. Some dead outs we never determine or under stand what caused their demise.
    to early for any reports from up here.

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

I've lost 1 out of 4 so far. Last year I was luckier and lost none of 5.

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

My one is still as strong as ever it seems, thank GOD. They are out there now working up a storm, beautiful site.

kebee

7. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

So Far all 23 are still buzzing. Spring. Is too far away to feel anything but angst

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

out of 38 I have 2 that are queenless and have 4 or 5 cells in each capped, just not sure if I have enough drones around, might have to combine with 2 nucs to save the big hives.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I haven't done any checking since my last look in the late fall. in about 45 days I will have a more reliable number. I don't coddle mine at this time of year.. most especially if I even have a question about the queen I stack and move on.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Lost one I was not expecting to in one yard , and one I Knew would not make it in the home yard. So two out of 7 total. One in each yard.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All still have bees going in and out. I will check them in mid Feb. and feed any still living. Put fumidil on one yesterday because the front was streaked.

12. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I suspect mites with two out of the three. The third was a supercedure queen that never mated properly. No signs of AFB, EFB or other causes.

13. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

2 nucs -
    1 - late feral swarm retrieval, pretty well established - absconded, didn't expect (robbing?)
    2 - suprecedure queen failure, numbers were not what they should be - somewhat expected

3 big hives -
    1 - no honey, no brood, queen present and we were feeding them - only about 30 and queen found dead. Reproduction problems due to no food. (second generation MN Hyg)

2 - same symptoms as above, also a suprecedure queen (second generation MN Hyg)
    But there was an increase in SHB in Dec with the unseasonally warm weather.

3 - My original hive of MN Hygienic, but had third supreceded queen - big strong hive for two years, seemed to not miss a beat with the split - perfect brood pattern all summer. IPM mite count was 10-14 - left with 15 lbs of honey - Absconded???

Robbing weakened them so early in the game. The two surviving are
    Garden Party (cutout)
    Candy Land (Wayne's package).

14. 2Tall

2Tall New Member

1 double deep queen issue
    2 nucs pretty week but I wanted to try to save queens for spring
    1 swarm caught in trap very dry heer all suummer didnt have much chance.

glad I did the candyboards or there would be many more, some were all gone already.
    down to 27 hives and 15 nucs hope they can hang on till spring.Glad 2012 gone been pretty tough year for bees here, hope for better year in 2013.

15. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Checked all 7 (6 full, 1 nuc) close to the house this morning, popped lids and checked for activity. All those looked good, nuc was light so gave them 5lbs dry sugar (mountain camp method). Dad thinks one of two at his farm is dead but called to say there was activity today. The one he thinks is dead had the lid blown partly off late fall and started a robbing frenzy that I'm sure wasn't good for it.

16. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Lost one out of 7 so far.

Reason was a very late issue with swarm and new queen. Didn't have time recover before winter. Remaining 6 seem to be doing fine so far.

17. Ray

Ray Member

First Winter as a beehaver and today was a beautiful day. The high today was above 60, both of my hives had lots of girls on potty break. The forecast is for cold and snow (for tomorrow and on), so much for the January Thaw. The hives are still heavy, still 'April showers bring May flowers' and that's a long ways off.

No dead outs for me:thumbsup:! KNOCK ON WOOD!

18. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I was able to check on two of my three hives. The most robust hive I had a candy board on. I rotated the candy board as they had eaten it down to the board in one spot. The second hive I used the Mountain Camp Method last week. I poked my head in the second hive yesterday afternoon and they were working on the sugar. I should have checked on the third hive, but didn't have an opportunity to get to it while the weather was mild. I feel like I should use the Mountain Camp Method on them too. My goal was to let all three eat their own honey stores, but I sure am glad I put sugar in there as they are taking it. I fear they would have starved otherwise.

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Checked on mine today and have 3 out of 12 dead outs, one was totally not expected, not sure what happened to them, they even had a full super of honey on. I think they might have swarmed and then went queenless. The one weak hive got a big boost of a full super of honey though. The little nuc is hanging tough, I did slip in a couple of frames of honey.

Mine are bringing in pollen and nectar from something, just not sure what it is. It was 65 here today so perfect for poking around the hives.

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member