how many hives do you have and where are you headed

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jun 8, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i guess i got to much time on my hands Curiousity is killing me. So lets start a post on how many hives you have, how many you plan to build up to. and what if anything you would do over if you could start anew.
    I guess i will start

Hi Im riverrat and im a beeaholic
    I got 35 hives have had as many as 70 would like to build to about 100 have the equipment to go to 200 but dont tell the wife she doesnt know i got it stashed. If I had one thing I could have done over I would have concentrated on building my hive numbers slower I went from 6 to 40 then to 70 in 2 years without a mentor just a lot of reading and learning by doing and making a lot of mistakes. I would have concentrated more on building with splits from local swarms and cutouts I have done. Im just partial to taking a swarm or cutout and watching it grow from nothing into a full producing hive and being able to look back and say I was a part of that.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I haven't counted hives lately but the best guess is somewhere around 200. Half this number is for producing queens and nucs and the other half for honey production. numbers wise I am about where I want to be.

at this point beyond making something of a small honey crop I would like to do a better job of rearing queens and the nucs I produce.

3. old-dog

old-dog New Member

I have 3 I think 10 would be good for me live in town and it is just a hobbie. do over start with packages and not nucs packages have done much better for me. First year at beekeeping.

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Hi, I'm Mark. I have about 570 something hives and 20 nucs and 10 queens coming in a few days. I have a friend who is raising queens and working on going commercial i think. I want to try out a small number so I can try to keep track of them.

If I knew how to move pix from our digital camera to the computerand then to the forum i would show you my new honey house. It was a slab and is now a slab w/ two courses of block. Perhaps by next monday it will have walls. I'm so excited to finally get the honey packing equipment out of the house. My wife has gotten used to it, I guess.

Where am I going? Just like every year. The numbers cycle up and down. Hive numbers and pounds of honey bottled and sold. Six hundred would be enuf for me to try to maintain. I did have 800 for a couple of years in the years before CCD.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

must be a genetic thingee..

either you have technical expertise or you have hives.

I am excited to see the pictures of your developing honey house Mark. hopefully one day I will get to see it in person.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

That would be nice. I hope I have enuf capital to get it functional this year, w/ electric, water and sewer and heat.

7. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Whoa! I am small taters compared to you guys!! I am impressed that you guys have that many hives! I sweat bullets with the 10 I have when I have to get into them - it takes me forever! My husband helps sometimes, but usually he stays out because he swells up like a toad when he gets stung.

This is my 3rd year in beekeeping. I started with 2 hives, the next year I had 6, and now I have 10. I teach school full time, and we also farm full time, so I am letting the workload tell "me" how many I can handle. I would like to get to 15 -20 hives, but we'll see on that one! :p

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you will find the longer you keep bees the less time per hive you will be spending it takes me no longer to care for 35 hives now than what it did for the original 6 except for when it comes time to super the hives or extract. You will find you worry less about the little things as you gain experience. And remember just because you are smaller you are able to bertter micro manage your hives. That is something you loose with size

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have two hives I over wintered. One of them is 9 years old. I have 3 hives I removed this year. I have 3 nucs building up. I have sold 2 hives and an unknown number of nucs. I have given away a nuc and 5 or 6 swarms.

I harvested 3 supers, 7 gallons, of honey from the 9 year old hive.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

three hives and a nuc here, would like to go to about 25.

G3

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I have two hives and plan to stay at two, so I guess you can say I'm going nowhere! At least that's what my family tells me... :lol:

Actually, the primary reason is that my property abuts a shrub nursery and I'm unhappy with the amount of pesticides and herbicides they spray. I feel like I am bringing my bees into harm's way. If/when I move, my plans may change.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have between 50 and 60 hives and nucs,catching swarms, making nucs and splits i lost count. It's odd, i can''t tell you exact number of cows or hives i have but i know if one is missing? I like to stay around 50 hives and may get more if i give up the truck garden. I have built up a good custumer base and can't produce enough honey for them, had one call last week and ordered 40 qts. and average one to three calls aday wanting honey. :thumbsup: I sell honey at twelve dollars a quart and have been out since last November, so far were having the best flow that we've had in the last three years. Jack

13. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

This is my first year and I have 3 hives. I hope to go up to 5 or 6 next year, and 10 seems like a good number to settle at in my current situation. I hope to build through splits, swarms, and any way I can without buying many more bees. I'm a farmer turned stay-at-home dad (the 2 are mutually exclusive while my little one is this little). When I get back into farming in the (hopefully) not too distant future, I want to make beekeeping a part of my operation, so I plan on letting it grow as much as there is room for.

-Dan

14. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

I have somewhere close to 75 hives so far this year, don't really know because I don't like to count until the fall because the numbers are constantly changing as I make cell builders, mating nucs, and splits. I hope to be near 100 going into winter. My plans are to keep refining my queen rearing methods, and nuc production procedures. My biggest goal is the actual promotion of my main product, nucs and queens. It seems there is quite a large market for queens and bees in this area, and I plan to attack it. This year I sold 20 nucs, and have orders for a bunch of queens. Next year I hope to sell 50 or 60 nucs and maybe 200 queens, but we will see what they look like in the spring of 2011. I find some much enjoyment in producing a quality nuc and a good producing queen. I wish I had more time to spend in the bee yards as I have so many different experiments I would like to test. Like different queen rearing techniques and how they effect or don't effect the quality of the queen over the long haul. I simply don't have the resources or time for that right now, but maybe one day.

15. JordanM

JordanM New Member

16 and im going nowhere but up!! Thatta way ^^^ Yaaa

16. rast

rast New Member

How many hives do I have now? Some strong and a few not, treating for mites on the weak ones currently. 20 hives and 8 splits due for inspection this coming Sat. for laying queens. Shooting for going into next year with at least 30. I may try to sell some nucs early this next year. Lots of northern competition down here in the winter.
    Working full time and physical condition is limiting expansion currently. In Fl. bees have to be moved or accept only 1 flow. I decided (along with my long wedded bookkeeper) to grow slowly and see where the greatest profit potential may be. According to her, with no major expenditures, I may be in the black next year if I can duplicate this year without this years expenditures (buying some hives). Can't live on it, but what the heck, a dollar in the black is better than a dollar in the red. Especially if you enjoyed doing it.

17. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We have been beekeeping for 3 years and have 3 strong hives, 1 weak hive, and 2 nucs. I hope that in 2 years we'll have 15-20 hives in 2 bee yards. One for honey production, the other for raising and selling bees. Then in 4 or 5 years maybe have something between 50 and 100. Doing local pollination contracts, selling bees and honey, removing swarms and cutouts, selling wax and our homemade products (soaps,salves,lotions,etc.). We would call the whole thing "Grace and Glory Gardens".
    Kind of dreamy but possible, right?

18. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Don't let anyone tell you it isn't. Anything you are passionate about is doable. And if you are passionate about it it will be successful and fulfilling even if the money doesn't come as soon as you might like it to.

19. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I'm somewhere close to two hundred but I only let two of them get strong enough to do anything but get by. I don't really have the time to manage what I have but I want to grow myself out of my "regular" job so I split hard and thye're easier to manage that way. Ar some point I'll have to do more with them and at that point I can do less with the dairy cows... I'm not there yet so I'm a slave to both for a few more years.

20. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Hello, My name is Ben and I am a Bee-aholic. I have 11 hives on the original apiary and 3 out-yards. I hope to build up to around 1200 hives over the next decade or so.

I've made some mistakes, but I don't think I would do anything different if I were to go back and do it all over again. Every mistake or failure I've ever made has helped put me on the path that I am on which I think is as good path, so I wouldn't even change the mistakes.