how many hives do you have and where are you headed

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jun 8, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

We have over 100 colonies along with splits and nucs. Kare said I could quit adding after 100, I don't believe that for a minute. We went and got a swarm yesterday. We have however stopped doing removals from houses.
    We have to finish our honey house so we can sell our honey some place other than from our door step of on the net this year.

:mrgreen: Al

2. Monie

Monie New Member

I'm down to 11 hives now. With the way things are going, job wise, I've sold some. I hope to build up to 100 or so, but I want to do it so that I'm not in debt or unable to handle it. I plan to pick up some packages next year and hoping I can time things right, so I can split them and sell the resulting nucs. I've had more orders than I can handle this year, which is both a blessing and a curse. I've lost out on the money, but I know the potential is there. I'll start taking nuc orders in november, to help gauge where this is heading. I want to get to where I can do this full time and not have to rely on an employer.

3. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Have about 60 right now and hopefully going to 200. Probably on the same model as Tecumseh. I find I like messing with the bees for nucs and queens a lot more than running an extractor and packing and melting wax and storing supers and ......

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Got out yesterday and checked 9 yards for need of supers. W/ supers already in some yards, I almost emptied the truck of supers. I put two supers on a hive if there werea few cells of nectar in the top box.

The bees are bringing in some nectar. If we get some heat they will really go to town and we might have a good honey crop this year.

I wish I could post pix. I'd show you my honey house. I have taken quite a few pix w/ the digital camera. When I figure out how to I will post some of them. Window and door headers went up yesterday, plus the first rafter.

iddee, if I send you some pixs by cell phone, can you put them up?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you send them to my computer, yes.
    To my cell phone, no.
    If you go to photobucket.com, open a free account, and upload them there, you can post them.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I also recommend photobucket. They resize them for you, all you have to do is up load them there then copy and past to put them here.

:mrgreen: Al

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I need to get my son to show me how to get them from the digital camera and into the computer. Be patient, I'll get it done some time. Thanks for the encouragement.

8. Monie

Monie New Member

A lot of times, the camera will automatically start the download. Plug in your USB cable and see what happens.

9. scdw43

scdw43 New Member

Fifteen hives and 22 Nucs this year. Forty next year and about 50 nucs to sell. That will be about it. I would like to sell about 50 nucs a year and about 100 queens. Anymore than that and it becomes a job and I had one of those for 40 years I don't want another. I just do this because I like it.

10. Monie

Monie New Member

Sounds like you got your numbers nailed down! I have yet to do that. I'm still debating on how many hives to run and how many nucs to set up for sale. I also want to buy some breeders from Glenn Apiaries.

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Most of the roof is on. Plywood not shingles. that's what I meant.

12. Monie

Monie New Member

13. Tia

Tia New Member

Eight is my limit! Beekeeping is my hobby. More than eight hives, it becomes work. Right now I have only six, and what with the temps and humidity in the upper 90's and these ding-dang SHB, the six I have are too many! But I made it through varroa (48-hr drop count on any of my hives brings up a max of 5 varroa!), so hopefully, I'll figure out SHB. But right now, they're giving me a run for my money.

Anyway, I've been a beek for 8 yrs and during that time I've purchased only 2 queens. I like to keep it in the family and know where my queens really come from. My girls are chemical free and always have been, and I've gone to foundationless to avoid the chemicals in the foundation! We have fun together, my girls and me.

14. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Currently 13. I'm not sure how big I'll grow. Hubby said no more than ten. (good thing he doesn't check if the stacks in the yard have bees in them or not) :) I'm beginning to look for outyards for next year. Although I don't think I need to grow to much until I can actually invest in a nice honey house/storage area, but if the swarm calls come, i'll go get the bees.

15. Tyro

Tyro Member

Currently 12 - 10 Langstroth, 1 TBH and 1 all medium long hive. Also 7 nucs. I am pretty much where I want to be, but I can't help but grow slowly, what with splitting for swarm management and swarm calls. I am working on getting better at overwintering nucs and hives. I would also like to get more honey out of what I have.