How many hobbies ya'll have

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alleyyooper, Jan 16, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Used to fish, don't seem to have the time any longer and I detest ice fishing myself.
    I hunt small game and white tail deer. I hunt coyotes too.
    I load my own shells for the rifles and shot guns.
    I like wood working and build most of my bee keeping wooden wear, part of reason no time for fishing I guess.
    I like to x country ski when the snow permints as well as snowmobile.
    I read a lot in the fall and winter too.
    I also have a collection of old Massey Harris farm tractoras.

:mrgreen: Al

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Use to fish also............that is another story.
    hobby farm
    varmit hunt
    reload rifle and shotgun
    metal fabrication, love to design and build
    use to do quite a bit of wood working but gave it up for metal working, table saw is still in the g arage for little projects
    garden
    bees

I guess I just like to play with everything
    just so many things to do and not enough daylight.

G3

3. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I hobby farm with a big emphasis on genetics. I have my own cows that have to be bred to the perfect bull, I'm working on my own chicken strain that lays like a white leghorn but with a brown egg, a gentle temperment, and with blue feathering. I have to have new cultivars of fruit trees as soon as they come out, or make my own... I guess it's as much obsession as it is hobby but it sure is fun.
    I also enjoy birdwatching but it is not yet an obsession.
    I LOVE to kill ground squirrels and in fact will always leave a few survivors on purpose since the only thing worse than seeing a squirrel that needs to die is not having any more squirrels to shoot at. :roll:

4. Charles

Charles New Member

We're going through a big life change with our move so I'll have to see where I settle in. We did the car clubs for years and I'd like to get back into that. The new house is only a couple miles from the lake so I think I'll have to dust off the old gone fishing sign :)

Won't be doing anything until the boss can get her truck in the garage though :(

5. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I like to fish, but I've never eaten any of the ones I've caught. Mostly cause they're all little.
    I also like to garden, keep chickens and rabbits, sew, crochet, and read.
    I'd like to go squirrel hunting( never done it before) but I have to get my school work caught up first and I don't know if I'll be able to do that before the season is over.

6. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

You folks make me feel downright lazy! We birdwatch, and take part in Cornell U.'s Backyard Feeder Watch; I have my chickens which are my pets more than a hobby; baking bread, especially the peasant types is so much fun; books, books and more books to read; quilting and rug hooking; gardening, although that is a full-blown passion and passed the hobby stage years ago; and catering to the cat, which occupies a lot of time. Occasionally I help out with the bees, but that is really Walt's hobby that he is good enough to share with me.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Both of my grandmothers used to quilt and I always thought it was fun to sit down and sew a few stitches to pass the time, I have three that were made for me from them and are treasured.

HAHA catering to the cat, I got a real good laugh out of that one. I like cats just because they have "that" attitude, nothing better than embarrising a cat by laughing at them.

G3

8. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I have three. Named Lauren, Amelia, and David. :lol:

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I have my flower and vegetable gardens and birdfeeders.
    I enjoy taking photos of flowers and insects.
    I like to kayak and sail (we have a 25' monohull, catamaran, and a Sunfish).
    I enjoy woodcarving, but only make one or 2 things in the winter when it's too cold to be outside.
    I also do some sewing, but it is mostly canvas for the boats!
    In winter, it seems like my hobby becomes "shovelling" but I think hobbies are supposed to be fun... :roll:

10. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Hobie, what did you finally come up with for marking your canvas? I know branding didn't work. :shock: Man did that stuff light up fast...

11. Omie

Omie New Member

I like playing old-time music. Fiddle, banjo, singing old ballads, playing limberjack, mouth bow, mountain dulcimer, and bowed psaltery. I run a couple of mountain dulcimer related websites. I like bicycling, snowshoeing, vegetable gardening, baking bread, walking, knitting, collecting tiny ominous looking antique bisque dolls, my cats, composting with worms, tending my cactus collection, and having breakfast in my favorite cafe during my fitness walks to town. Haven't knit much lately, running out of time- damn that thing called work! :D

12. Hobie

Hobie New Member

cp - I pried open the ol' wallet and had some sew-on patches made. Actually, the cost wasn't too bad, and it's much easier on the fabric! :D

13. Ivan

Ivan New Member

Fishing/icefishing
    Hunting
    Reloading
    Snowboarding
    Hiking
    Camping
    Racing
    Carpentry
    And of course BEEKEEPING SINCE 15....that makes it 5 years

14. Brenda

Brenda New Member

I like to garden and love flower gardening. Mowing should probably be called my hobby, since I do so much of it in summer.

15. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

What kinds of things do you like to garden Brenda?
    My favorite things to grow are green beans and marigolds.
    I know the bees don't really care for marigolds, they are just the only flowers I can get to grow for me.
    Fortunately I don't have to do any mowing yet because my brothers do it all. :D
    I did make them let me mow once and regretted it after about 20 or 30 minutes! I usually do the raking, so I reckon we're even. Especially since my dear brothers push mow the 2 acres of yard we have. It's a little number, i know, but it feels like a lot in the humid summers we have out here. The poor things come in dripping wet and covered in grass!