How many new colonies?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Jun 7, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I know some of you have been doing lots of removals and swarm catching, how many colonies have you added? I'm up to 18 from the 8 that came through winter. I've even given away 4 or 5 swarms that I caught. I'm tapping out now, I need to get caught back up on garden and other things.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Six swarms, 22 nucs, and one trapout in process. Total 73 hives,(colonies) not counting the trapout.:shock: Jack

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I made a cut-down split, caught one of my own swarms, one trap-out, and the rest are feral swarms.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wow Jack, 73! DL, I am very clear on tapping out myself. My queen was starting to lose her patience with me. I had plenty of gardening and yard work to do as well. But, up to 16 colonies once I take down two trap outs. That is 13 up from last year.

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Good to hear we're in the same boat....

6. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I had one come through the winter I've done 2 cut outs, 3 trap outs in process (5 hives), & 5 swarms. I'm at 9 hives and 2 nucs; gave 1 swarm to a friend and 2 hives to a new beek who’s got some sweat equity into his hives. It has been a little overwhelming from what I expected for this year.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Came through winter with 28.
    So far I have sold 10 nucs, and am up to 45 hives by doing splits to ward off swarms. I have another dozen nucs to make up that are spoken for as well.

8. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

came through winter with 4, now at 9. 2 packages, and 3 splits..

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I think I'm up from 5 that came through winter to 17.
    I picked up 3 nucs in Georgia (Russians and Carniolans) and they have done very well. Two of them have filled out 3 deeps and one is going to give surplus honey.
    I'm encouraged by how much more honey my 3 deep hives are making vs the 2 deep systems.

I'll graft again tomorrow to requeen hives that aren't booming and to have some queens on hand incase of queen losses due to whatever treatment regimen I choose later in the summer. I may go ahead and make a few more splits.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Eddy, I'm gonna give one colony a 3rd deep to see how it goes...

11. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

From 12 starting in spring, now 16 due to splits.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ed and dave, are you guys going with the 3rd deep for honey harvest?, or 3rd deep with supers added?, then plan on overwintering with 3 deeps?

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I plan on overwintering some in 3 deeps.
    I observed my Russians out of room to lay. Not because they were honey bound in 2 deeps but because they were brood bound. I added a 3rd deep for the population explosion and hopefully the queen can continue to lay and expand the brood nest as far as she needs.
    So far my biggest hive is a nuc that came through winter. They've filled out 3 deeps and I added a 5th super. They are 8 frm boxes though.
    A Carni nuc I got from Blue Ridge Honey bursted into 3 deeps as well (8 frm) and has a bottom super full of honey and are working on the top 2 supers.

This is a great experiment and I'm sure has alot to do with the huge honey flow that has occurred this spring.
    It seems there are alot more bees in the 3 deep systems. I've also had no swarms this year for the first time.
    It also makes splitting easy. I wanted to make up some nucs so instead of having to feed sugar there are plenty of deep frames of honey/pollen to go around.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks ed!

(have overwintered with russians in 3 deeps myself, will be interested in how your 3 deeps come out.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at some point you just quit counting. thankfully I have recruited enough young beekeepers that they now collect swarms and do cut outs and I do not have to do that time consuming task. any additions are seasonally created from splits and this seems to fall into a predicable percentage to replace hives that will fail later in the season and of course some less predicable number that I will sell primarily to new beekeepers.

Currently I plan on maintaining something like 250 hives as a maximum seasonal number of established hives.... add to this another 50+ hives that I look after at the Texas A&M bee lab.