How many stings this year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bee n There, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Bee n There

Bee n There New Member

Ended up getting tagged pretty good yesterday evening through the suit. Not sure what it was but the last hive I was doing mite counts for pretty much errupted out of nowhere and turned on me.

After tollerating the bombardment for a bit took off on 4 wheeler and must have been chased a couple hundred yards. Let things settle for 10 min and soon as I went back same thing... So closed the hive up and went home. Looks like that hive need a new queen.

Must be up to 30 or so stings this year. Most don't bug me, sometimes not even sure if I was actually stung or not. But a couple of the ones last night left a mark.

So how many stings are you guys getting? I'm questioning my suit a bit as I have been tagged through it quite a bit.

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

7 or 8. Never through the complete suit, but several times through jeans when just wearing the jacket. And twice while on the riding mower 50 feet from the hive. Was wearing a dark t-shirt, so that was probably what set them off.

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Being new at this I've racked up a few dozen since the 1st of April.
    Get 1 or 2 every time I got to ABK's bee workshop
    Got about 10 doing 2 cut outs with G3 last may.
    Most of my stings I get is when I'm changing out feed jars.

Still not getting used to it yet.

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

probably a dozen this year, most of them between the elbow and fingers, all of them when wearing a T shirt( don't own a B suit/jacket)of a lite color.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

This year has been good. Only a few hundred stings. Past years I have gotten that many in one day.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

maybe a 100 by now, don't really keep count of them, most are forgettable.

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

IDDEE.....your gonna start leaken....your not supposed to kick the hives before ya open them....what kinda Africanized egyption german crossbred cow killers ya got in them boxes anywho....lol.....if i got stung a couple of hundred times in one day id be an unhappy camper...if i lived...for me about 35 stings this year..i spose...i didnt realy keep count

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Iddee writes:
    This year has been good. Only a few hundred stings. Past years I have gotten that many in one day.

tecumseh:
    same here. of course catching queens and working bees in a short sleeve shirt assist in running up the total.

I think my known record was 150 stings one morning all located between the tip of my finger and my elbow when I was catching queens.

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Honeybee stings: 0
    Yellow Jacket stings: 3

But this is not a good thing, because I have been so busy at my new job that I have totally neglected my hives. I may not even be able to pry them apart now!

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2k, I do removals from houses. Sometimes my bee suit doesn't cover me completely. :shock: :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don't know how many i've taken this year, but i worked one of my northern yards yesterday and one hive got riled up.All was well at first,i checked stores,looked for mites and shb's, then went into the brood box and all hell broke loose :confused: . They came boilling out and it sounded like i was in a hail strom,they hit my veil so hard that they knocked it sideways, i closed them up and worked some other hives 100 ft. away and they followed me. :roll: Took twenty some hits,( i was working them with a jacket on) don't know what set them off. :confused: Jack

12. Bee n There

Bee n There New Member

Don't feel so bad anymore. Will see how it goes this week, have honey to take off and some serious shuffling of hives before setting things up to treat and get ready for winter.

13. me2pl

me2pl New Member

wow- 7 stings since the beginning of the spring. one hive of bees pumped one two the foot, a few to the dogs, and one to the face. yes, the face. the first week, we had them on syrup supplement, and while I was changing the bottle, one jackass bee decided that he liked my upper lip as a landing pad.

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

bees like the face....the eye area is a pre-programed target....and they aint afraid to let you have it either....they dont like black or red....strong perfumes or the smell of sweat or car fumes....and most expecialy beekeepers who let their gaurd down or get too comfy...lol...or at least mine dont anyways

15. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Oh yes. I remember last year with my Angelina Jolie lips...

16. milapostol

milapostol New Member

So far this season, 5. Three to the arms, one to the chest, and one to the back of my head which was the worst because of the hives...to me, not the bees.

17. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Really when working the bees looking for more important things then counting stings !

Got hit with a hundred or more early summer afternoon when mowing grass and rock or stick hit hive, next day back working hives.
    Murrell

18. me2pl

me2pl New Member

yeah, today I got stung twice, inside the elbow, and the neck. the 10th time I spread cinnamon around the hive, but this time they went ballistic, and next thing I know, I'm sprinting 20 MPH away with a bee in my hair and two stings

19. me2pl

me2pl New Member

Interesting topic is:Are you gaining resistance to sting or are you having worse effects from the stings?

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

When I first started keeping bees I had the black German type and they were meaner than the devil's grandmother, needless to say the apitherapy treatments were plentiful and often. After a while I was swelling up like a balloon with just one sting. Now days it is not bad at all, most times just a little red spot to a small lump. Still don't like to get stung but when you play with stinging bugs it is going to happen.