how many supers

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Zookeep, May 15, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok the hives out in the country are doing bad but I have 2 in my back yard that are doing well, 2 nines for brood then a 9 for honey, any1 ever add a 4th nine to a hive? will it make it hard for the queen to spread her self out that far? dont want to cause swarming.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I usually have 4 on a good hive. Rarely do I want a queen in the upper half anyway.
    Did I tell you I saw deer in the front yard yesterday?

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok then going to add 4th nines to the 2 and a 3rd to the cone-o-bees hive in my back yard this afternoon when I get home, I should make queens off these 2 when I get a chance, very good hives. cone-o-bees was moved to a 10 frame on 4/4 now getting a 3rd box, very good hive but I did notice the bees are darker and a smaller then all the other hives.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

when putting the 4th nines on I had to take a look around, pulled the honey nine off and wanted a fast look in the top brood box, sweet queen in this 1, laying very well.

Attached Files:

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

I agree :thumbsup:

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zookeep says: " laying very well."
    Efmesch says: Be prepared to add a fifth, unless you have plans to extract and recycle some supers soon.
    :grin:

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

just remember to bring up a few drawn combs into the new supers to draw the bees up to it. I would always use emerging brood to bring the other bees up. as for the queen she can't possible be laying patterns like that in two full depth brood chambers, in so short a time that other frames of brood aren't hatching out providing open frames for her to lay in. another reason to move a frame or two of sealed brood to give the house bees something to do and the queen fresh comb to lay in.
    Barry