How many years, and I still screw up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Feb 29, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Started putting together 30 deeps yesterday, just pickin away at them in between other stuff.
    Finished the 15th one this morning, take my wife out to lunch and when we get home she asks me what I was doing in the basement this morning.
    I say "come have a look".
    We go down into the basement and I show her the stack of new boxes I got on the go. I pull the top one off the second pile and show her the craftsmanship I'm so proud of.
    Then I notice it! :shock:
    The last one I did, the one in my hands, has the frame rest on one end facing up and on the other facing down!
    Do I say anything, like "%#$@*&^#$"?
    Nope, just set it back on the pile and went about my stuff like it was meant to be.
    Waited a while till she left, undid the screws, used my biggest ballpeen hammer, and fixed the problem.
    Note* When milling your own lumber to make your own boxes, ALWAYS mill a few extras! :mrgreen:

2. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

measure twice, cut once. If the hammer you used did not work, get a bigger one.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I must admit, I have a couple of boxes with the handle cutouts to the inside! It happens to the best of us and I see no end in site... :thumbsup:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I started to say the same, a few hand holds on the inside, only adds character!!

If the hammer did not fix it, then it must be an electrical problem!!

Perry I can only guess you do not use glue on the joints?

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

If at first you don't succeed, try try again until you do suck seeds.......Curly Howard (nuk nuk nuk)

:drinks:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

G3 - Yup, I always use glue.
    That's why backing the screws out wasn't enough, hence my big ball peen hammer! :lol:
    I thought about taking pictures but I figured I didn't really need to promote my screw-up beyond a written explanation. :oops:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

WHAT!! Ya mean a box ain't supposed to have one handle on the inside?? I thought that was th' normal way.

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Stack all the milled parts together wrong side up, and then draw a sharpie line across all the boards , You will always see if they are correct when assembling thereafter.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

C'mon Perry, what's better than a good laugh? A good laugh shared with your wife.
    Invite her back to the basement, show her your mastery of beekeeeping assembly and prove to her that you too are human.

Zulu, you are thinking too logically--it don't always work out that way. Have you never seen a sharpie line facing out the wrong side?

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

with factory made stuff it ain't any easier to disassemble a box no matter if you use glue or not. not that I have ever made this mistake myself :oops: .

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

I know , what can I say, i am an engineer after all. And as a woodworker I have a mark I use to show in and out..... But with hives I just check they are all right way up......after milling.

Teaching the scouts I found one with handles inside just before nails were to be driven, so was a good learning moment for boys and reminder to me as well.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zulu,
    Didn't you know, the ones with the handles inside and the shoulder recess on the outside are meant to be placed near each other so you can hang the frames on the outside, between two such hives, while you are working on the "normal" boxes? :dash1:
    Now, upside down, that's a problem!