how mean is mean...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Aug 18, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

how do you judge the mean factor of a hive....how mean is normal....say for outside factors where they are mean like a derth or queenlessness but normaly wouldnt be...or...mean-ness from genetics and aint gonna change.

The feral hive has been meaner since it requeened itself....so has one of the splits from it...another split from it is not mean...nor are my 2 other hives....those two get me every time i go in them....just a few stings...but even tho i expect to get stung now an again....every time is not to my liking.

It has been hot an rainy....there is a derth now and all the hives are all light an full of brood...i see them bringing in pollon but they are using it all an storing none.

they arent near as mean as some stories ive heard on here but unless i want to get stung its riot gear time...what yall think ???

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mean is when they are queen right and you are in a flow and they sting your gloves till you can feel the venom burning your skin. that mean.

then there are normally defensive bees. if the rations are short or if the weather has been wet and overcast for some spell or excessively himid I consider these as factor that encourages normal defensive behavior..

first thing is (and I really assume you do this??) is light your smoker. secondly if the hives are around people or animals install robber screens on everything.

ps... persistant nasty hives just need to be requeened with something that is of known origin.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You must remember bees are bees !

I think it is an injustice to new people that right off the bat, they aren't told by the Bee Hobby promoters that " ALL bees can and will sting at any time for any reason they are natures bees "

How much hair spray you used today, body deodrant, perfume, hand lotion.. etc., etc..

What is the humidity, wind factor ?

Wasp, varmits, hive disturbances, draught, and more etc.,etc., etc..

I say " lets not blame all bee meaness on the Queen ! "

Ok, I'll head back to the back of the bus !

Murrell

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

this is why i asked....i've seen a few things now that ive had the bees for a spell....an they dont like it when its 96 degrees an 90% humidity....it got hot an they got more defencive....they also slow way down about noonish when the temp for the day ramps up....they dont like it when you mess with them after its rained or if there is lots of thunder (obviously)

i do light my smoker when i get into the hives...i use cedar shavings and have my routine: smoke em good an rap the top of the hive a few times....wait 3 minutes (about) and light smoke the door an pop the lid a smoke there....give em a minute an go in...that all shoud be good....but i was thinken if they dont have any honey stored what are they gonna plump up on when they get smoked....it doesnt seem to calm this hive much once they are crabby.

i dont wear purfumes but if you live in florida in August and your outside more than 3 minutes you make your own personal fragrence....in a bee suit...yea right....good luck with that :/

I also live in AHB territory so having open bred ferral bees....well :/

Im planning to put the florida screens on just cause....what will it do for cranky bees ???

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've got to ask, why would you rap the top of the hive for. :confused: That in itself would get them pe'ode. Jack

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well.....when i first got into beekeeping i bought a bunch of really old beekeeping books....the dadent book was 1912 i think...anyways in one of those books the writter gave his way of smoking an opening his hives....i understand what goes on with the smoke part but was kinda baffled by the rapping part....i guess since that was the method that stuck in my head ive just always done it...lol...plus i always knock before going into somebodys home (snicker)

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do sometimes tap on the outside of a box when I am doing a quick walk thru of a yard and I have heard of folks using a similar ploy to 'test' for defensiveness in bees (never really done that myself). if you do a tap, tap, tap and nothing comes to the front door this typically means the hive is dead.

as long as we are on the subject a lot of noises can wind the girls up a bit. even at a distance some large motors or track type equipment can make a perfectly manageable hive a bees testy.

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hmmmm...is that why i been doing it...well im gonna change up then...the testing for defenciveness by jerken thier chain at the same time im tricking them into being calm by blowing smoke up thier.....exit.....seems kinda counter productive....ima go back an re-read that part of the book...maybe not having any experiance at the time, i mis-understood something an combined the 2....there were 13 books in all ranging from the late 1800's to the early 1900's...all on pdf so i can use adobe on my puter to read them...or send them to somebody...some pretty good ones too...oddly...not much has changed...lol...dadent calls a truck an ''autotruck'' and wonders what impact it will have on future beekeeping...he was impressed that it only took a few hours to move his bees 25 miles vrs all night by wagon...lol...if he only knew :)

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have seen some pictures of moving hives in wagons with teams of horses. I always kind of wonder how or who trained the horses?

and good luck with them mean bees...

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

tec. how would you compare the AHB to the German Black bees we use to have.Now that was some kind of mean. How would you like to have a hive of AHB, GB. cross. :mrgreen: Jack

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have only speculatively work the first but did get acquainted with the latter since those were the bees of choice of my first bee keeping mentor. on both once riled there is no amount of smoke that will calm them down and both when revisited even several days later seem to remember you from your prior visit.

after an ugly incident several years back I pretty much set myself onto a path of rearing bees that were a bit more docile.

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

awwww now....ya cant just leave us hangen...what happened O.O

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

let me just say 2kooldad (and with the hopes of not scaring folks too much) that the bees (no matter what their origin... ie europe or africa) are quite capable of hurting folks. some folks would experience such an event and fold up and go home and some of us start seriously considering how we could do better by others and the bees.

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well i hope to not let others get tagged by my bees....me either as much as possible ;)

15. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I started this past spring with 2 packages-both Italian. One has been so laid-back and mellow as to be lazy. The other one-however is crazy. The laid-back colony has always been easier to deal with-much less aggressive. On the othe side of the coin-however-it took that colony twice as long to draw out the 2nd deep, and have shown no interest in filling up the medium that I added when they finally finished the 2nd deep.
    The crazy hive has already given me 2 mediums full of honey. This hive requires the use of full riot gear when handling,and yesterday, I was mowing about 50 feet away, and 2 of them popped me. In the past, I've been able to mow right up next to the hives with no problems. My wife suggested that it's because I was wearing a dark t-shirt, and I think she was right. I put on a jacket and veil and was able to finish the job. I can't help but wonder what was going through peoples minds as they drove by-a guy in a white jacket and veil on a riding mower.
    I'm still undecided about what to do about the weaker colony. I'm gonna let them go another month or so and see how they do. I may end up combining them for the winter.
    As has been posted here in the past-no 2 colonies will be exaclty alike in temperment, but these 2 are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum.