How much to winter?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reef10, Aug 1, 2012.

1. reef10

reef10 New Member

I live in VA near the coast. My climate is usda zone 7. Winter can have a week or so at 15F. Our first frost can occur sometime in November with spring getting started in Late March. This would be similar to the middle part of NC and the upper parts of GA and AL. How much space do you give your bees for the brood box in these areas? I have 2 hives in 10 frame deeps that were started from nucs and I have 2 very small nucs in 5 frame equipment which I may have to combine.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It will vary. It will vary. It will vary.

Having said that, the norm seems to be a deep and a med.

30 to 60 lb. of honey, depending on cluster size and weather.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Further North we use double deeps with 80 to 100 lbs of honey (thereabouts)

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suspect at your location with a bit of care and proper timing that you should be able to overwinter even the 5 frame nucs with very little problem. If one or the other of the queens in the nuc box looked weak I then would consider combining.

as to stores... Iddee gestimate looks about right to me.

5. reef10

reef10 New Member

I am hopeful for the nucs. Thanks to everybody who replied. I am thinking the deep + medium is right for the 10 frame equipment. What would you put on a nuc? 2 deep boxes for a total of 10 frames or will they have a chance with only one deep of 5 frames. I am planning to keep the nucs week by robbing frames of brood for the main hive once they become strong nucs.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I am thinking the deep + medium is right for the 10 frame equipment. What would you put on a nuc?

tecumseh:
    for most of the southern US the configuration you describe is very common. ideally this is how I like to set up hives in the fall although how things work out is not always idea. I have overwintered in everything from 5 frame baby nuc boxes up thru story and half and some double.... generally with a good number of 5 frame nucs in both medium or deeps frames. most of the latter I maintain with quart jar feeder that fit into their tops. since the nucs are small they don't require much syrup. their syrup intake does have to be managed on a fairly reasonable and routine bases <really meaning here that every time the temperature is warm enough I typically add some small amount of syrup and when the temperature is too cold I simple leave them alone.

I am not certain what you are asking in regards to 'put on a nuc'?

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I agree with what iddee and tec said,15F for two weeks is T=shirt weather in SW. Mo.:lol: Jack

8. bee stung

bee stung New Member

top of zone 4 here in MN ,,all most in zone 3 ,,, I go with 115 plus ,, but
    I shoot for 125 plus, then I put a candy bar on the top frames