How much water can bees handle?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, May 23, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Rain - rain - rain - and more rain. As a farmer we never complain about getting rain, but we have been having floods here in NW Arkansas. I am really starting to worry about my bees. It seems like they can't get more than a few days to be able to get out and forage. They have been cooped up in their hives since yesterday when the storm came through that got Joplin, and we have had rain ever since, and more expected. Our creek has/is too high and our low-water crossing is gone...again. So the county has to come out and repair it for the 22nd time! (We have kept track) It took down a huge walnut tree close to my hives - I am surprised it didn't blow them over last night - that was the first thing I did this morning before I went to school was to make sure they were still standing.

But when do I need to act as to feeding my bees or if I even should? They were strong hives and I really feel that they have put enough nectar in there to get them through some rainy days. I haven't had a decent day to get into my hives since I last checked them - just to peek as to if they started on the supers because they had the deeps pretty full. I know one thing - when they do get out, they will be grouchy! and I am staying away for a while.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hefting the back of the hive should tell you how much they have stored.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm a little north of you and having the same problem. I did get to look at some of them last Sat. and they were good on stores,but like you said, they were in a bad mood and working hard on something :confused: . Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

cool lookin' old truck... I like those.

an arkiebee snip..
    They were strong hives and I really feel that they have put enough nectar in there to get them through some rainy days.

tecumseh:
    most times this is the ultimate test... a kind of 'go with you gut' kind of thing.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I've got the same problem here. I received a package of bees about a month ago and they've had a hard time too. If it's not raining, it's cloudy and threatening rain. They have only built four frames of comb. I put in a couple of frames of honey to give them some help. I know the queen is laying and when they can, they are bringing in pollen like crazy. They are almost comical to watch on a sunny day. On those rare, sunny days they seem to work at such a frenzied pace to make up for lost time. Oh well, the forecast is for rain off and on all day today.