How often to check your hive?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by cody1991, Jul 10, 2016.

1. cody1991

cody1991 New Member

I'm new to beekeeping and I'm curious as to how often I should check in on my hive I'm out of south Carolina and it's very hot and humid right now

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Once the supers go on I don't check unless there is an obvious problem. Otherwise I check carefully in the spring and when I take the supers off, usually around the middle of August. However, I'm many miles north of you. Probably different in the south.

3. cody1991

cody1991 New Member

Thanks I wasn't sure and didn't want to activate the bees I've done one inspection since install

4. camero7

camero7 Member

When was your install? I'd sure check a new hive a few times to make sure they had a queen [new packages often supersede] and to see how good the queen is by her laying pattern. My new packages have been gone through about 4 times since install. Also, experience allows me to watch the landing board and know a lot about the colony. It takes some experience to do this so check your hive.

5. cody1991

cody1991 New Member

In late febuary my photo is my latest brood frame

6. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Depends on your reasons for checking.
    • is there an issue or problem?
    • are they in rapid transition like spring buildup, new queen, or fall dearth... and may need intervention?
    • ‚Äčare you just starting and need to observe & learn?

Also depends on number or hives. You can check 1 or 2 hives every week or 10 days. If you have 100 hives, that's not going to happen.

Pick a guru and system and follow directions until you find your own path. Generally speaking, if you are just starting out, you should probably monitor closely as they have much to teach you. More than once per week unnecessarily disrupts. At the other extreme, I have one hive that seems to be a cross between honey bee and rattlesnake; I'm not going into them until after dearth when the population drops.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Once a month if things are going well no transitions, for me, once a week, or every 5 days if checking to see if the queen took over where I merged one with a laying worker hive (after making all bees fly home)

8. paint504

paint504 Member

When it comes to new hives I check every 2-3 weeks until I put supers on, then I check every month.