How quickly do bees get frustrated with you?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Apr 28, 2011.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

On my hive now on top i have my lid, a board, and 12 mixe sized bricks. Given that bees move in and i let them get settled, taking all that off is a 30 second job, will the get frustrated with that?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Never will you see a hive act the same way for two days. Each time you go into it, you have to check their temperament before entering. Some days you can work them for an hour or more with no problem, other days they will attack immediately.

Remember, they are all female. Totally unpredictable. :queen: :ranting: :rolling:

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

shouldn't. if you take your time. I think your a little overkill on the bricks for weight. I may not understand here but if I'm right you got a hive set up waiting on a swarm to move into the equipment. Or have you hived your bees.

4. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

thanks and yes no bees yet, but these last few storms blew the top off when i had 6 bricks so i doubled it.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you might have better luck getting on a swarm list with the local extention agency police and fire departmens the 911 call center and exterminators. That would be quickwer than waiting on one to find you if I understand what your doing right. Although I have had some swarms move into empty equipment i get 100 swarm calls to the one that moves in :thumbsup:

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Wind blowing your top off several times !!
    It seems to me if I saw correctly a picture of your hive;
    Your top extends way past the edge of your hive box by quite a bit, that's like a airplane wing.
    The wind gets under it and off it comes.

2-3 bricks should be plenty I believe.

Maybe I just saw wrong, I'm old !!

Murrell

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

My bees get frustrated with me from the moment I open my eyes in the morning... :lol:

30 seconds of doing stuff to the outside of the hive... pfft, you could spend all day moving them on and off the lid and I don't think the bees would pay any attention to you... except maybe during the summer dearth.

8. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

95% of the bees in a hive are FEMALE and your askin us(mostly guys) what to expect??
    Really it can change day by day and sometimes acouple of times a day, Like all females THEY will teach you what you need to know. Jim

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I just wish they would teach me what I need to know by the time I need to know it instead of a minute too late like they usually do.

10. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

11. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Yeah, yeah. Just like a man. Hangin around the hive all day while the females clean up after em before bootin em out. :mrgreen:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, the females only keep us around for one purpose. :yahoo:

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah, it's all good, right up until they tear our wings off and boot us out of the hive in the fall.

14. Hobie

Hobie New Member

You betcha! Actually, I'm amazed that they are calm at all, with some meddling, thieving giant tearing the roof off their humble abode and poking about.

As for the cover blowing off, I was going to suggest a hook-and-eye to attach top to bottom, but if you have that much windage, I'm afraid it might then take the whole thing over!

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I,m not saying nothing about all those wimmens, too easy to get in baaad trouble!!

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

whats the matter dont want your angelic wings ripped off and booted out the door. :D

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You know exactly what I am talking about!! :chased:

18. milapostol

milapostol New Member

:) Yeah, the other day when I was weeding, I was buzzed twice when I tried to work close to the normally placid girls. One was in the morning and the other was in the afternoon. I was surprised as I thought they would've been over their grumble by then, but they weren't.

They were back to their normal selves the next day. Don't know if they were spooked by raccoons or skunks; they were just grouchy that day.

19. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

As long as I move slow and take my time it doesn't matter. If they are going to be pissy that day they will be, if not I can work them almost all day.

JC