How should I put a hive out of its misery?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Bigwig, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

I've had a colony that has struggled all season long with wax moth and shb. I checked them again today and they're pretty much on their last leg. The queen has been gone or dead for several weeks now, and the combs are a mess. There is still about 4-5 dozen bees left on the combs, but there are few food stores, if any.

How should I deal with this situation?

Thanks for the help. Sad to lose a hive, though.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

shake the bees out on the ground, place all of the frames in the freezer for several days to kill beetles and wax moth, then you can open feed it back to them after it thaws out. When open feeding place at a distance away from the hives, say 50 to 100 yards. Remove the entire hive from its original place or the shaken bees will return to it.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if a hive is simply weak most times I just knock the bees out on the ground and stack on the most active hive I have within each reach. if a hive has been possible contaminated with either shb or wax moth I do pretty much as G3 suggest only after freezing I stack on something that can cover and protect the equipment.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Yeah, the damage is pretty extensive at this point, so I don't think there's much hope for it. I only have one other hive (a real strong one from a swarm) so I'm reluctant to put that at any risk.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Shaking them out in front of the strong hive won't put the strong one at risk. After freezing, you can add the box to the big hive for cleanup at no risk. or place it at a distance and let them rob it. No risk to the big one either way.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

As for stacking the frames on another hive, just how badly are they messed up.