How should I setup my hives?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Apr 2, 2013.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I have 2 deeps from the hive that died. One deep is 10 frames of drawn out comb. the other deep is 10 frames of both capped and uncapped honey. I'm going to be starting 2 hives this spring. Both with at least 1 deep. How should I spread out the drawn out frames and the honey frames? Or can I even reuse them?

Thanks
    Jason

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Those drawn frames our like gold, heck yeah you can use them! If you have a freezer, I would put the uncapped honey in it. The uncapped might leak though if not stood up. The uncapped honey, if closer to the nectar phase, could draw mold, insects, moths, or ferment. It may already be funky if it's been a while. I would use the telescoping lid and inner over (oval hole covered up with tape) and sandwich the empty drawn and capped frames. And, place it somewhere in doors until ready to use them, which for us in Indiana is very soon, 2 weeks or so.

If you are starting two new hives, I would split five drawn frames with five capped/uncapped frames between the two hives. I would add a second deep as soon as you feel the queen needs more room. That's my minor contribution....

3. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I'm not sure when our bees will be in. For some reason I was thinking early June. Right now the 2 deeps are in the basement. It's pretty cool down there. I ordered 2 nucs from Graham's. I also have to buy another hive. I'll see about putting them in our back porch chest freezer. Do I need to freeze both the comb frames and the honey or just the honey frames?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Both for a couple days if you can. Stops the Wax moth and SHB if you have those.
    If you are getting nucs, put your 4 or 5 frames in the center of the bottom deep with empty comb on either side,and have a frame of honey in spots 1 and 10. Give that a couple weeks, and when they start to fill it out, put on your second deep with empty comb in the center and any additional frames of honey on the outside. The comb you have will be a huge boost to your bees. Like Dave said, comb is worth its weight in gold.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Really, there is no need to freeze the capped honey frames unless you suspect moths. I would just pay attention to the uncapped/nectar frames. The basement is a great place, nice and cool. I get my two packages from Grahams April 13th. However, I was in the first batch that ordered in early January. If you are looking to buy more wooden-ware I would recommend MannLake because of the free shipping over $100. Save the $60 in shipping for something else.

6. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I was looking to buy a hive from RJhoney. It's not far from where I work so I could just go pick it up. They also look to have the best prices.

Jason