How to a move a frame of capped brood?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I am thinking about moving a frame of capped brood from a stong hive we just cut out Sunday to a small weak hive that we have had for about a month. To give the strong hive some room and get the small hive some extra resources.

Do I just remove a frame, brush off the bees and stick the frame in the weak hive. I wouldn't want to move the bees over that are on the frame would I.

Am I on the right track here?Is this a good idea? Pros and Cons? :thumbsup:

Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Easier to go out in the middle of the day and swap positions with the 2 hives. The foragers from the strong hive will take up with the weak hive and strengthen it.

3. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Yes, you are on right track. Bees can be brushed off or stay on frame and have a new 'family'.
    The above is dead on about middle of day (more likely house bees on frame, then) and swapping (but often I find it too heavy and cumbersome to do that.)

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Take your choice of Iddee or CeeGee. They are both right on course.:thumbsup:

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I can't imagine moving my full hives around like it was nothing. Then again, Iddee is a big bruiser.

If you brush off all the bees before swapping the frames, you won't have to worry about accidentally moving the queen. :) Sounds like a plan!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, Omie, with one being a fresh cutout, and I think he said was in a nuc, and a weak hive needing support, I didn't think either would be very big or heavy.

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Yeah thats right.

That cut out has 5 full frames and 1 frame I squeezed in with foundation. Tons of bees. Then I have a very small swarm, it was about half a football size. They have about 1 1/2 frames drawn out in a 10 frame deep. They do have some capped brood but on what they have drawn out but there just is not much activity from them.

I figured moving one frame of brood might help both problems. AND buy me a little time to get the deep brood boxes built for the big cut out. Garden is going nuts right now and canner is not having time to cool off. Shew.

I thought about just swapping both boxes. Putting the big cut out in the Deep and putting the small swarm in the nuke box. But that seems like a lot more work with a lot more potential for something to go wrong. Plus I think I would still need to help the small swarm somehow.

I know you guys read this a lot, but this really is a great forum. Maybe one day I'll be able to answer some questions instead of just asking all the time.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Oops. :doh:

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

yankee said:
    "I thought about just swapping both boxes. Putting the big cut out in the Deep and putting the small swarm in the nuke box. But that seems like a lot more work with a lot more potential for something to go wrong."

yankee if i am reading this right, i wouldn't be swapping all these frames back and forth, iddee meant just swap positions of the nuc and the deep. hope i understood what you said?

then you said, "AND buy me a little time to get the deep brood boxes built for the big cut out." i am guessing that you don't have the equipment available right now to put this cut out in a deep box of their own?

so based on my guesses, i would either swap positions of the nuc cutout and the deep weak hive. OR..... (sounds to me like your cutout is going great guns and needs to be in a deep) so taking frames from this strong nuc and giving it to the 10 frame deep weak hive is probably a good temporary solution if you do not have the equipment available right now, and are building them, otherwise you might find your nuc swarming....

hope i made sense? making my own brain spin right now....

yankee also said:
    "I know you guys read this a lot, but this really is a great forum. Maybe one day I'll be able to answer some questions instead of just asking all the time."

riverbee says it doesn't matter yankee. whether we ask a question or answer a question....there is value to the asked question as well as the answered question. someone will read your thread and learn from the 'asked' and 'answered'.....btw this is the BEST forum:grin:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

11. Jim 134

Jim 134 New Member

If you move a frame of capped brood with bees on it look out for the Queen. Justs my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yankee, the questions are mandatory. Without them, there would be no answers. Keep them coming.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    To give the strong hive some room and get the small hive some extra resources.

tecumseh:
    that is what I usually do although some time it is simple a frame of feed and sometime primarily brood (and sometimes both) depending on what the weak hive needs. one or two frames doesn't really weaken a strong hive even if done repeatedly over several weeks. most time I shake and then brush the adult bees off the frame prior to transferring. for me most times this stealin' from Peter to pay Paul is best done in small steps repeated again some days later.

14. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thought of another temp. solution today while at work (supposed to be working:lol:) I had one more 5 frame nuke in the
    garage with 5 frames of foundation. I had to work late so when I got home I grabbed that nuke box and frames and
    set it on top of the crowded cut out nuke box. So now at least they have some room and buys us some time.

Kind felt like loosening the ole belt after Thanksgiving dinner.

We have had good rain here so I am guesing the flow is on. The are not taking much of the sugar water I am providing on top of each hive. And flying like mad. I walked by my garden this morning to feed the chickens before work and the buzzing
    stopped me by the cucumbers, water melons and cantalopes. Sounded like I was standing by the bee hives. Never seen so many bees. Also never had so many cucumbers. Nuts.

Just the first picking.

2012-06-05_18-19-56_228.jpg 2012-06-05_20-08-36_306.jpg

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Now I know what I forgot to plant! Cucumbers! What a harvest you have.
    a 2nd nuc on top sounds like the easy fix for now. And this is a great forum.

Gypsi