How to address a poor nuc?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yote Shooter, May 7, 2013.

1. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

How to address a poor nuc? Updated

Purchased a 5 frame nuc, from a member of local bee association. Price was what I expected for area. However the keep wanted my hive to place into. Ok, no problem. So I get them home site unseen. Check them and very few bees! Maybe enough to cover 2 frames complete. Marked queen.

1 full frame of brood. 1 half of another brood, back side empty drawn old comb. 2 scattered brood on side and empty old on other side. 1 side with nectar but no capped honey, empty other side!

Now the progress of this nuc was obvious because they pulled all frames to place in my deep and seal up for me to transport.

Does one just know not to do buisness with them again or contact?

Not looking to alienate myself from the rest but I don't like the condition of this nuc!
    To me this was a quick split.

Any guidance on how more experienced keeps would proceed?

2. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Definitely sounds like you were shorted. There is no definite "standard" for nucs, but you're supposed to get 2 frames of brood in various stages, one frame of pollen, and one frame of honey also Enough bees to cover all brood. Or more commonly a mix of ingredients on each frame that add up to that total. I think it's just like any other transaction. You have the right to complain, but the seller does not have an obligation to fix things.
    If it was me I'd absolutely tell the seller how you feel and request one additional frame of brood.

The way I'd put it is: "I had a look at the nuc you just sold me. The queen looks outstanding, however I couldn't help but notice that 3 of the frames I got were empty on one side. Is this normal for one of your nuc's?"

If you have other hives then you could set this nuc in place of a strong hive to bolster their foraging force.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would first ask you what kind of box did the nuc come in? doesn't sound so much like a split to me but a quickly put together nuc and a box that didn't hold bees too well.

don't get me wrong here. there is no one who can or will produce 'the perfect nuc'... which very much includes myself. I do sometimes send nucs on in their shipping boxes but really prefer to transfer the nuc directly into other people's boxes to limit the kind of problem you are suggesting. In the process it also allow me to directly see the queen (which I paint) and I take the time to show her directly to the customer so they can be aware and alerted to notice her when they begin doing inspection.

4. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I provided the deep, screened bottom, additional frames, and top, along with a strap to hold together after I picked it up.
    It was provided one day so that they could be hived late when all would be back and sealed until I returned them to my yard. Only three dead bees on the screen, so no losses there!
    The queen was marked and some eggs were present. I am just disappointed at the volume of bees and the lack of full brood, this along with what appears to be very fresh nectar, zero capped!
    I feel like conditions here have been very good for build up. My existing hives are doing great.

Others that I have purchased apparently were stellar!
    Don't get me wrong, I am aware that they will very but this just is poor at best. I am hopeful that her laying is greatly improved within the next 2 weeks or I will have to pinch her.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would call the supplier and ask a few questions myself, sounds like you were shorted a little.. When I sell a nuc I do like for the buyer to come later in the evening and we will go through it and place in their hive body. I always give them the option of what they want to do, go through it with me or just take my word on them.

6. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Update on poor nuc....
    I fed them to get them started and had a medium of drawn comb to add a short time later. Well, I had not bothered them for some time now. I got into this hive today. Very disappointing at best. a good bit of capped honey in the medium but poor numbers.
    I get into brood box and zero capped brood. Looking around and there is a Queen. I chase her around the frame and from side to side through a gap. I try to catch her and she flys off the frame and I'm sure goes in the entrance. This is not the marked queen that came with the nuc.
    I have the medium on a stand behind the hive. So I look for this queen more and can not spot her again. Wanted to catch and mark her.

I then go through the medium and yep, there she is, the marked queen!
    So I catch her and cage her. Put every thing back together and think well pinch her as I thought at the early stage with this nuc?
    Then I think well I'm a softy for the queens so I put her in a fresh split from a strong hive.
    If I am a betting man, and I am....I'll be pinching her soon.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"If I am a betting man, and I am....I'll be pinching her soon."

yes you will. i'm a softie too, but i would have sent that queen off before now. you have had this 'nuc' with the marked queen since may 7th? the bees superseded her. you put the poor queen in a fresh split, and my guess is you will find the same poor results. she is a queen of poor quality, and your new split is doomed with her. break down, don't be a softie, and give your new split a chance, and requeen. as far as the 'poor nuc' you took her out of.....give the supersedure queen some time to start laying.
    :grin:

8. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Thanks riverbee,
    More I thought about last night, it just makes sense. After work tonight, she goes. I'll try and find a queen today.

No point it prolonging and going later into the year.
    Tim

9. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I bought my first nuc this year mainly because I had never tried one before. It was a 5-frame nuc in a cardboard box. It came with a defective queen and two frames of bare foundation. I asked the seller for replacement queen and also mentioned the bare foundation to which he replied "tough luck". I told the seller that it was a poor way to do business and that he had lost me as a customer and I would share my negative experience with others.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Thanks riverbee,
    More I thought about last night, it just makes sense. After work tonight, she goes. I'll try and find a queen today.
    No point it prolonging and going later into the year.
    "

tim, i would find a replacement queen, say sianora to the old queen, leave them queenless for 24 hrs and put your new queen in, others may have a different thought, but my suggestion:grin:

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I believe you folks should list the keeps your doing business with so others do not get the same bad deals. Tom