How to clean out a cutout after the cutout?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by onehorse, Jul 8, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

What does everyone use to encourage the bees to follow the queen and leave the cavity after a cutout and what do you use to clean it up from dropped honey, wax residue, etc. We are doing our first house cut out, been doing trees so far. It's in a wrapped post on the front of the house, but we don't want the bees moving back in either.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you can locate the queen and catch her in a hair clip type queen catcher, vacuum out the bees, and cut out all of the comb they will for the most part be following the brood and queen to the newly set up hive (if they are close enough). When you get everything put back together make sure you seal up the cracks with silicone caulk. If you want to spray (or put some on a cotton ball) a little bee quick or bee go inside as you are rebuilding this will deter them also. For the honey just a bucket of warm water and a rag. As far as the comb is concerned I just use my hive tool and scrap it all off best I can.

You will always have some stragglers but they will be gone in a day or so.