How to fix leaky honey gate?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Larus, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

My 5 gal honey storage pail has a slow leak somewhere around the honey gate (probably at the rubber gasket seal between the gate and the pail itself). There's ~50# of honey in the bucket right now. Is there a way to fix the leak without transferring all the honey to a different container? My first idea was plumber's putty around the rubber gasket, but I wanted to check with people first - I doubt very much I'm the first one to have this problem, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel and contaminate honey in the process. What do you suggest?

2. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

How about some beeswax?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

larus,
    it could be a number of things, sometimes the hole for the gate isn't drilled properly, or your gate parts, inside and out are not properly tightened to the bucket.(this would be my guess which requires emptying of the bucket to re tighten) also check the nut and bolt screw type thingy that joins the two plastic parts that hinge the gate, that these are tight on the gate with no gap. btw, if you have plastic screws, to open and close the gate, throw them out and get the stainless/metal ones.

hope i made some technical sense here :lol:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have a few plastic pails with honey gates on them. I have found the square ones seem to seal better than the round ones. I discovered a couple of days ago a round one was dripping but I realized it was the rubber O ring had popped out of the groove in one spot and got squished. I had to transfer the honey, re-seat the O ring and now it works fine.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

You could use duct tape. Duct tape fixes everything! :lol:

6. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Larus,

My honey gate has leaked due to both reasons that Riverbee and Perrybee have mentioned. 1st time it was not screwed on tight enough (already had 2 gal of honey in it) 2nd time the O ring has popped out. Now, currently, the bucket is full of honey and no leaking..............fingers crossed - yet.:wink:

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Occasionally the O ring gets installed with a twist in it and will cause leaks. It will be just about impossible to seal it externally. The plastics of both gate and pail are not easy to stick things to. The O ring is totally the seal.