How To Get Bees From homade hives into a langstroth hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by colopeachgrower, May 28, 2012.

1. colopeachgrower

colopeachgrower New Member

I have 3 Langstroth hives and was given 9 homade hive with the same dimentions but different size frames. The problem is the bottom is nailed on , and i want too encourage them tto move too fresh Langstroth hive set below. So far ive come up with a couple of options to do this pry off bottom, at great danger to me and the bees and set it on the new hive body, drill some big holes in bottom and set on new hive body, or the easiest way would be to Flip the new hive onto a new hive body...but dont know if this will upset the bees. any suggestions? need to do the transfer tomorrow eve please respond: THANKS

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry to be the dearer of bad news, but all the best ways include removing the bottom.

My choice would be to set the lang on top the homemade until the combs are drawn out and the bees are using it. Then remove the bottom, turn the hm hive upside down under the lang, and let them move up. She will not lay in an upside down cell, so in 21 days, all worker brood will be hatched and you can remove the hm.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Colopeachgrower :hi:

Glad you found us. We are a great place to ask questions (as you have already found out) and hang around to pick up all kinds of information.
    We are a friendly bunch and eager to help!