how to invite apiarists to place hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by willowtreemenagerie, May 17, 2011.

1. willowtreemenagerie

willowtreemenagerie New Member

Hi there! I'm new to the forum -- it looks like a great one (I'm active on Backyard Chickens and TurtleTimes). I would like to extend a general invitation for apiarists near me to place their hives on my property. Can anyone suggest how I would go about reaching out to those dedicated folks? Thanks for the help, Kerry

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum. glad to have you. Not sure about virginia some states require hives be registered so you might check with the state department of agriculture to see if they have a list of bee keeps close to you. other places you might check is the county extension agency and even police and fire departments a lot of keeps have there names with them for swarm removal. And there is this forum we have a lot of members out your way. Once you find a keep he will likely come out and look your place and the area over to see if it is suitable for bee keeping. Good luck and again welcome to the forum. You hang around long you might just end up being the keep that puts a hive on your property :D :thumbsup:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

ditto on both of the above, I have also seen people list it both ways on craigslist.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I met a number of folks from Virginia at last winter national bee keepers meet up (well actually we had folks from Mexico and Canada so it was much more than just national in scope). The Virginia clubs seemed to be pretty well organized and seem to cooperate quite extensively (on things like nuc production and queen rearing). The clubs in northern Virginia (sounds like an oxymoron) appeared to be the largest and most active.

Most folks that actively set hives down are looking for some things that may not be so obvious to some one unfamilar with bees... for me these are 1) water 2) a well drained and accessable location 3) some bee forage component that looks promising. There are some places where no one would want to place hives.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

1) You can post in forums with lots of friendly apiarists, just like this one, just like you did. :wave:

2) You can contact your local beekeepers association or the state beekeepers association if there is no local beekeepers association. Better yet, go there and meet the folks there. :drinks:

3) You can pull out an ad in Craigslist and/or the local paper to beg an apiarist to place hives on your property. :beg:

4) If all of the above fail, learn to keep bees yourself, and this forum is a great place to start (and continue) learning... :thumbsup:

7. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We have an urban homesteaders forum here too, and people advertise both for bees or to offer a site. So maybe try that too.