how to keep bees from absconding in a tbh

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by thatguy324, Apr 14, 2013.

1. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

almost done with my tbh i was reading on another fourm and some guy lost his bees they abscond in his tbh how do i keep this from happening to me?

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Add a bit of comb and if there is brood in the comb the bees will be less likely to abscond. If a swarm finds your TBH and moves in they will stay. if you put a swarm or package into it you may want to screen the entrance till they have drawn some comb and the queen has started to lay eggs. You will have to feed syrup and pollen patties to them as the bees will not be able to get pollen and will not have any nectar for producing wax and to live on and create heat.
    I would hive in the TBH pot grass in the entrance and place syrup in the hive for them. When it is dark before the next morning remove most the grass leave a few loose pieces for the bees to remove and let them fly in most cases the bees will stay in the hive.
    If you don't get the queen though the bees will not stay in the hive bet go back to the queen, original hive or join other hives. the other guy states that the bees absconded but there could have been other factors.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

[h=2]how to keep bees from absconding in a tbh???[/h]
    EASY! Put them in a Lang. :D

I've heard of them absconding from a TBH many times. It is very common.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Iddee is so right. In a lang with only foundation the smell or wax is present. Anything you can do to make the hive more desirable will help. if you have langs already put a few TBH frames into a lang to get them started drawing them out to give to the TBH with a swarm or package. Make a few wedge top bars for the TBH so you can nail in strips of foundation build frame feeders so the bees have access to syrup next to the combs the are building. Use a follower board bees in nature do not want a space that is to large. Bees also do not like light in the hive so have a solid bottom board until they become established with a large population and require the ventilation. the bees will let you know when more ventilation is needed by bearding at the entrance.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

We tried several times and they absconded, until we had bees in the Langstroth hive draw comb and brood. When we put the drawn comb with brood and food they stayed.

6. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

If you have a screened bottom board in this TBH, keep it closed until they settle in.

I have two of these hives going right now and have never had them abscond, "knock on wood". I have had two nucs and one lang hive abscond this spring. One just happened the other day. One day they were busy and the next day there were none.

Another trick is to wire some old brood comb to the toop bars, use wire, tywraps, anyhting that will hold it to the top bar. Once they decide to stay, they will build over this comb.
    Robert

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Great idea Keith! I try this when I get my tbh's going this May.

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I just put a swarm in my first top bar hive last night. I have syrup in there and they were still there at noon today.

I am thinking about cutting a piece of plastic foundation and attaching it to one of the top bars and see what they do
    with that. They are all balled up hanging from the top bars today.

9. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

keep us updated on that please

10. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Cut the bottom grooved bar from a regular frame and stapled it to the top bar. Then put a staples through it to attach the foundation to hold it on. They were crawling all over it by the time I finished. I'll update with another picture if the start pulling it and how long it takes them.

2013-04-17_15-14-43_758.jpg