How to start with a bee

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jb59, Apr 23, 2012.

1. jb59

jb59 New Member

My wife and I want to start our own Apiary. I saw a site that offered queen bees that VSH and these are the type we are interested in. But I'm not too sure how to start a hive/colony with just a queen. I am going to purchase a book or two on this subject but don't have any as yet. I know the time to start is now, being that it is almost May.

I just want to make sure I start out right. Should I buy a colony along with a queen?

thanks for any feedback!

Joe in Pa

2. Larus

Larus New Member

Yes, you should buy a colony along with a queen. The queen is NOT self sufficient - she has to have a hive of worker bees to feed her, keep her warm, even stimulate her to lay eggs and to defecate. A queen without worker bees will simply starve to death.

Purchase those books and read them, then you'll know exactly what to do and how to do it. "Beekeeping for Dummies" was a good start for me, and books by Larry Connor are great ("Bee Sex Essentials", and "Increase Essentials" are a must in my opinion). In the meantime, get to know as many beekeepers as you can - see if there's a local beekeepers club in your area, look through the "Introductions" message board on this forum - there are several people here from PA. And since everyone is probably sold out of "package" bees by now, what you need to find is someone who will sell you an already established beehive or a nucleus hive (nuc) - basically a starter hive, half the size of a regular one. Surf the internet, or ask around.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

You cant start with just a queen. There would be no one to take care of her or the eggs she lays. No one to raise the brood.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

jb59: :hi:

Welcome to our friendly forum, you have found a great place to pick up valuable information.
    Like Laurus said, visit the introduction forum (introduce yourself if you wish) and have fun looking around here!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You will need to either buy a package with a queen, a nuc or an established hive. I think you need to do a little bit of reading first.

Welcome to the forum and don't be shy around us, we have plenty of answers for all of your questions!!

6. jb59

jb59 New Member

Thanks to you all for your feedback. I am fairly new in my community here in PA (Lebanon County). I am doing some research now looking for local people with similar interests.

Love this forum!

7. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Welcome! I am sure you will find local beekeepers to help you learn. Its great if you can get some hands on beehive time, too. A local club will help you find a class or possibly a mentor to learn with.

I am so glad I had hands on experience and even a few stings under my belt before I got my own bees. Its a totally different ballgame when its no longer theoretical and you have 20,000 new additions to the family.

good luck!

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap, like Larus said...."beekeeping for dummies" was a good resource...It was my first book and read it over winter to help for this spring...Welcome to the forum!

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We have several Pa. members on the forum. Narrow down your location and maybe we can find one close to you.