how to store frames

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by pistolpete, Sep 24, 2012.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

The bees didn't read the memo I sent out three weeks ago about moving stores to the brood boxes. The three frames that I left above an inner cover to get cleaned up got filled up instead. These three frames are full, but only partially capped. So I pulled 3 capped frames from the top brood and stuck the 3 uncapped ones down there.

Now I don't know what to do with these 3 frames. It's about 15 pounds of honey, but I already have more than we will use, so I want to feed it back to the bees in the spring. How should I store these frames. I have room in the freezer, or should I just put them in a sealed container in the basement? What's the best way to give them back to the bees early in the spring. I know I will not want to have the hive open too long, so which frames will be the easiest to pull? Or is my plan flawed all together?

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

you can freeze them, tightly wrapped if you would like and have room, or put the frames either in a container, or a covered extra box in a cool dry place. deep frames? feed the frames back to the bees, or replace empty ones with them, when temps are above 50 degrees ( it can be done at 4o degrees but with very quick work), or when you split the hive, give these frames to the new one.

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Freeze them for 48hrs to kill any SHB or Wax moth eggs, then store them, wrapped in a plastic bag is a cool, dry place. A stack of 4 or 5 medium supers with frames will fit in a large "lawn and leaf" bag.

Be sure to fold the bag over itself and secure the opening well. You don't want to pull them out in the spring to find them full of wax moths (or otherwise).