Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After deciding to try to save a queenless hive by transfering a frame or two of brood from a stronger one and then trying same I quickly realized it ain't so easy getting all of the bees off of their frame. Surely someone has a method for doing this that is easier than having two hives open, shaking and brushing bees everywhere, and generally creating havoc. Also, how long can brood safely be left sitting outside of the hive? And what happens if there are still bees on the frame of brood when it goes into the new hive? As you can no doubt tell this is the first time I've done this and need pointers. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick addendum to my questions: Since you're looking to transfer brood with eggs it seems that there's a good chance the queen could be on that frame. This was foremost in my mind while shaking bees off and especially brushing them. What to do about that - gotta find the queen first?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
When transferring a frame of brood leave the bees on it. Those are nurse bees and will be needed to tend to the brood (stand on the comb to regulate the temp. and feed as needed). You are transferring to a weak hive so they will not have the number of young nurse bees to tend to them, they will be older bees and need to forage more. Yes be sure you do not move the queen to another hive, you will not need to locate her, just be sure she is not on the frame you are moving over. Nurse bees will not fight each other, only the more mature bees.

Sounds like the bees from the center hive are drifting to the two end hives.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Like G3 says, the most important thing here is to not transfer the queen! I used to shake off all the bees as well but have since stopped for precisely the reasons G3 has mentioned and I have not seen any fighting that I had been worried about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts