How was the harvest?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Bens-Bees, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So how was this years' harvest for everyone? I got 60 gallons off 17 hives, so I thought it was a pretty good year. How about you?

2. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I got 23 pounds and about a pound of beeswax from my 2 hives this year. One was a split done this spring from our main hive, was not expecting any honey from it this year so getting 2 frames from it was a nice surprise. Both those have a least a deep full of honey now as well, so they're in good shape for winter.

We did a 2nd smaller split from our strongest hive into our community garden hive box, they only had about 10 frames drawn comb to start the year. No excess from them, but they've got one deep nearly full of honey now, so they've done well.

Considering CoSprings has had just shy of 7 inches of rain, total, for this entire year so far...our ladies worked their little butts off!

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

I got 13lbs so for and going for more today when I go through my hive to check before winter. Wanted to do this this past monday but we have been getting rain and showers every day this week. No rain this morning so will see how it goes today, going to sugar powder them for varosa mites also.

kebee

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Didn't go for honey this year, tried to make up my winter losses instead. I'll still get a few supers of honey for gifts etc.
    Got a bit of surprise on my last inspection though. Almost zip for growth in the last month. I think it was too dry and we are not going to have much if any fall flow. Goldenrod is all but done.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

It'll be another 2 weeks before I harvest my two supers- still waiting for them to be capped as much as possible.

6. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

82 lbs. of honey from hive begun from swarm in the spring-have at least 2 more supers that are almost fully capped and should bring the total of my very first honey harvest to around 150 lbs. What an exciting, sticky, fun time we've had with our hand-cranked extractor!

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wow, that's great najo! You too Ben. My first year total so far is 30 pounds.

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have taken 55 lbs from two May nuc hives. Should have about 70 lbs more in several weeks. I had ten drawn honey frames, the rest foundation. I expect I will have to feed some. I am hearing that this area used to be considered 60 lb. net area so I guess things went well. The third hive produced nothing and have been feeding for a couple of weeks and will have to put in another 50 pounds or so. Mites put them on their knees before I got onto things.

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

Today I broke the hive down to see how thing were in hive, the frist since I got them except to see if the queen was out. Had to take my big bush knife to cut the comb from the super that is full of honey to get to the bottom, put the hive tool in with my other tool slip the knife in and took the mallet and cut the comb, had to think how I was going to do it at first. All ok, got a great queen, did a powder sugar dust to see what might be hidding with my bees. Oh I change the bottom board to a sreen board also so I could get a mite count.
    I am so sore and tired, will not have any trouble sleeping tonight, don't anyway. I also harvest more honey, they had filled the frames even better than the first time, got 23lbs this time. I will not go through and inspect a hive and take honey anymore at the same time, I am to old for that, I am just glad it is over, pouring in sweat and tired. Just got to strain the honey and bottle it, and do you know I haven't even taste of it yet, see how tired I am.
    Oh Gypic, I want to thank you for the cotten stuff idea, I had order some the last time and I am going to get more, from brushy mountain to burn in the smoker, it was a little hard to start but it was lite and smoking an hour and half later went I got through.

kebee

10. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I got zilch. It stopped raining in July and the girls ate it all. First year, though, so I wasn't really expecting any.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got 16 quarts (I think that's about 48 lbs or 21.77 kg) of honey this spring, and I don't know if I'll get any more this year or not. The hive is full of bees and they're buzzing in and out like crazy, and there are lots of late-summer/fall flowers blooming.

It was a hot and dry summer. I assume it was an unusual weather year for most folks. Hopefully next year will be better.

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

Last year zilch. This year 170 lbs. Anybody want to by some honey?

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Had a good year, even with the drought? Don't know how many 5 gal. buckets we have processed and sold at the farmers market already, but we have twenty 5 gal. buckets ready to bottle for our fall festival the last weekend of this month. I also had six supers of comb honey. Thats all from 42 hives and i could take more off, but i'm burnt out on extracting and they may need it for winter. Isn't it odd how excited we get when you find your supers are full and capped, and after spending several days extracting, your not excited about looking for more. Don't get me wrong, i'm very thankful, but with the long hot drought we had (and still not out of it) i think it's got the best of me. Jack
    PS.a club member who does custom extracting, has extracted 70 supers for a beekeeper in Branson, Mo. that has 40 hives, and he called her today and said he had 50 more supers he was bringing her.:shock:

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Wow, that's awesome! I wish I had that much to sell... I will be out by this weekend. I would love to have more. Each year I get more honey than the prior year, yet each year I sell out faster than ever.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

about 50 5 gallon pails. not a banner year but definitely more than the 0 pails I produced last year.

16. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

After hornets and wasps decimated nucs and hives last fall only one survived the winter. Bought 3 queens and divided the hive left the queen and open brood in original hive and placed empty brood box on top, (main hive swarm control). Capped brood broke into 3 nucs, 4frame brood with 2 pollen and honey, and 2- 1frame brood and 1 frame honey and pollen nucs in 4 frame nuc boxes. Empty spaces filled with drawn comb. Ran the 4 brood frame 2 honey / pollen frame, and 1 brood and 1 honey / pollen frame nuc as 2 queen unit.
    the other nuc ran as a single.
    Pulled 150 lb from original hive, 175 lb from the 2 queen, and 50 lb from the single. Thats 375 lb from a hive that was a split last year and was barely 8 frames of bees and 5 frames of brood on the 15th of April. the three queen cost $75.00 but considering they were released and laying in 3 day and how fast they built up the colony and the honey they produced. well worth the investment.

17. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

as for me, 135lbs atm with maybe another 7 or 8 deeps to harvest soon, most are just about fully capped, I find it amazing that that much honey can come out of 1 deep super.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

About 170lbs from 5 hives, but as mid season has been so poor have left supers on at present, will be checking status next week.

Lost two nucs due to not feeding early enough.
    Trap out nuc already been through 2 gallons feed in last 10 days.