Howdy all

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zookeep, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Sorry Ive not been around much, 2 full time jobs keep you hoppin, going to try to be on more now (I hope) during the summer I met an old time beekeeper, he started in 1945, in his heyday he had 1300 hives all over florida, his name is Leon and he wants to teach me all his tricks,some years back he was torn up real good by a tractor and with no kids with any interest in the honey buis it faded away. he knew the weavers before they got big, he knew dadant when he worked out of his house lol, he looks like a cross between grandpa walton and the old man from duck dynasty.

2. Ray

Ray Member

I love that "old knowledge". They learned at the School of Hard Knocks and are willing to pass it in for free.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Time you showed up I've mist your posts and pictures. I was thinking it was going to be a long cold lonely winter for Perry and I if you didn't come back and start posting. I bet he gets as much enjoyment out of talking bees with you as you get knowledge from him.
    Now if we can get a few more of the MIA's to log in (not mentioning any names Omie) things will liven up around here.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Time you showed up I've mist your posts and pictures. I was thinking it was going to be a long cold lonely winter for Perry and I if you didn't come back and start posting. I bet he gets as much enjoyment out of talking bees with you as you get knowledge from him.
    Now if we can get a few more of the MIA's to log in (not mentioning any names Omie) things will liven up around here.
    "

.......:lol:
    (funny apis about you and perry......and the omie part was really funny too!......)

anyways, HEY ZOO, and ditto what apis said, missed your posts, missed your photos and missed your presence, and like apis said, about time ya showed back up here, and then perry would say, we have rules here ya know :rules:...........:lol:

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome home Zook.
    You've got a great opportunity not only to learn some "new (old) tricks" but possibly purchase some additional equipment that would otherwise end up in the scrap heap. If you're interested in expanding, make him a good offer, you never know where it may lead.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

That's wonderful. Sounds like an adoptable grandfather figure.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

was talking with Leon's wife, turns out a few days after we left he fell and broke his hip, so after 2 weeks at the hospital and 3 weeks at a rehab he will be back, then I can talk more with him about 400 boxes he has sitting in a box truck, a 55 frame extractor and some other odds and ends.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Wish him well from the forum!:grin:

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hopefully they have been protected from wax moth, mice and anything else that can destroy them. As efmesch said wish him well and a speedy recovery from the rest his fellow beekeepers. Hopefully all the bee stings he endured over his live time will aid in slowing any arthritis from setting in.