How's your honey flow?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jun 9, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have been busy going thorough hives and nuc's. (between 50 and 60?) all my hives have 2 or 3 supers and several have four and they are full :thumbsup: .Although they are not fully capped (some haven't even started) i am now now putting together comb honey supers ( to put on) to slow them down till i can get foundation in some of my supers.(new frames not wired). I don't have a clue what they made it out of? the sweet clover is just now coming on strong and the dutch clover has been blooming for four weeks but you rarely see a bee on it and it's everywhere? With all the rain we've had i thought i had more than enough supers to last, but that shows what i know. Hope all of you are having a Honey of a year. :yahoo: Jack

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

we have a good flow going on here for the last week my hives i have been feeding have cut way back on there syrup intake. I am going out to check feeders today since we have had 2 days of rain I didnt super anything since i have been splitting hives. But wish i had of now. It is one of the best flows i have seen in a few years

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I have one more super on this year than I did last year at this time. Everything seems to be running a few weeks early. My privet hedge is in bloom, and that's a good source if the rain ever stops. (I love it when the entire hedge is just humming!)

4. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

my girls are getting supers on them this year for the first time in my short 3 year term. The weather/crop has been bad for a few years but they did build me some comb up for this year. Some doubles and a few single supers so far. Not much build up this week. From what I can see its real clear!hope to fill some more if it would just stop raining for a fewdays!

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went to my northern bee yards yesterday to put more supers on and a nuc on a queenless hive ( the newspaper method). I had to work in the rain and much to my surprise the bees were calm? when i put the last super on, the sky opened up and it poured down rain. That was 60 miles north of home and we need a good rain here, were getting dry. When i got home a neighbor 5 miles from me had a swarm in her front yard ( a nice 4 lb. swarm) on a rose of sharon bush, the same bus i got a swarm off of last year? Jack